Finding work for a gas in a piston cylinder

In summary, a gas in a piston-cylinder assembly undergoes a process with a pressure-volume relationship of pV2=Constant. The initial pressure is 1 bar, initial volume is 0.1 m3, and final pressure is 9 bar. The final volume is 0.03333 m3 and the work for the process is -19.97 KJ, with an incorrect integration and determination of the constant C. The correct constant should be determined as C=p1V1^2=p2V2^2.
jdawg

Homework Statement

A gas in a piston-cylinder assembly undergoes a process for which the relationship between pressure and volume is pV2=Constant. The initial pressure is 1 bar, the initial volume is 0.1 m3, and the final pressure is 9 bar. Determine the final volume and the work for the process.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V2=sqrt((p1)(V12)/(p2))
V2= 0.03333 m3

W=∫ pdV
W=∫ C/(V2) dV
=C[-1/V]
=C[-1/(V2-V1)]
=[(p2V22)-(p1V12)][-1/(V2-V1)]

=[((900000Pa)(0.0333m3)2)-((100000Pa)(0.1m3)2))][-1/(0.0333-0.1)]

I think the answer is supposed to be W= -19.97KJ, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
jdawg said:

Homework Statement

A gas in a piston-cylinder assembly undergoes a process for which the relationship between pressure and volume is pV2=Constant. The initial pressure is 1 bar, the initial volume is 0.1 m3, and the final pressure is 9 bar. Determine the final volume and the work for the process.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V2=sqrt((p1)(V12)/(p2))
V2= 0.03333 m3

W=∫ pdV
W=∫ C/(V2) dV
=C[-1/V]
=C[-1/(V2-V1)]
=[(p2V22)-(p1V12)][-1/(V2-V1)]

=[((900000Pa)(0.0333m3)2)-((100000Pa)(0.1m3)2))][-1/(0.0333-0.1)]

I think the answer is supposed to be W= -19.97KJ, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Your integration is incorrect, and your determination of the constant C is incorrect. ##C=p_1V_1^2=p_2V_2^2##

Oh ok, the constant part makes sense. How is the integration wrong though?
I thought ∫1/x^2 dx = -1/x ?

jdawg said:
Oh ok, the constant part makes sense. How is the integration wrong though?
I thought ∫1/x^2 dx = -1/x ?
Yes, that's correct, but you substituted the integration limits incorrectly.

Chet

Likes jdawg
Thanks for your help!

Related to Finding work for a gas in a piston cylinder

1. What is the purpose of finding work for a gas in a piston cylinder?

The purpose of finding work for a gas in a piston cylinder is to understand the energy changes that occur as the gas expands or contracts in the cylinder. This can help in designing efficient engines and other mechanical systems.

2. How is work calculated for a gas in a piston cylinder?

Work for a gas in a piston cylinder can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

3. What factors affect the work done by a gas in a piston cylinder?

The work done by a gas in a piston cylinder is affected by the pressure of the gas, the change in volume, and the presence of any external forces acting on the gas. The type of gas and the temperature also play a role in determining the work done.

4. How does the work of a gas in a piston cylinder relate to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a system. Using this law, we can determine the work done by a gas in a piston cylinder by rearranging the equation to W = nRTΔV.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding work in a gas piston cylinder?

Understanding the work of a gas in a piston cylinder has many practical applications, such as designing more efficient engines, predicting the performance of gas-powered appliances, and optimizing the use of compressed gases in industrial processes. It is also important in fields such as thermodynamics, mechanical engineering, and chemical engineering.