Finding Wronskian with Given Initial Conditions for Non-Homogeneous ODE

• Thread starter ehhh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, we are given a differential equation with solutions y1 and y2, and we are asked to find the Wronskian of these solutions at x=1. We can use Abel's theorem to find the Wronskian at x=0, but since the equation is non-homogeneous, we need to use variations of parameters to find the Wronskian at x=1. After some attempts, the final answer is e^(e-1), but further verification may be needed.
ehhh

Homework Statement

Suppose the Wronskian of W(y1, y2) [0] = 1
y1, y2 are solutions to the differential: y'' + e^xy'+ tanx = 0
Find W(y1, y2)[1] ?

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm thinking of using Abel's theorem, where p(x) = e^x
W(y1, y2)(0) = [tex] = c e^{\int{- e^t dt}}[/tex]
So, 1 = [tex]ce^{e^{-t}}[/tex]
But I'm not too sure what to do now..

I then tried to find out what y1, y2 were so I could just calculate W directly at x = 1.
Since it's not homogeneous (the tanx term) I was thinking of using variations of parameters. But I the e^x term doesn't allow me to find the characteristic equation to find that..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer of it was e^(e - 1) but I'm not too sure if it's correct

Related to Finding Wronskian with Given Initial Conditions for Non-Homogeneous ODE

1. What is ODE?

ODE stands for Ordinary Differential Equation. It is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. ODEs are commonly used in science and engineering to model dynamic systems.

2. What does "Given W(0), find W(1)" mean?

This phrase refers to solving an initial value problem (IVP) for an ODE. The "W(0)" represents the value of the function W at a specific initial time, and "W(1)" represents the value of the function at a later time (in this case, 1 unit of time after the initial time).

3. Why is solving ODEs important?

Solving ODEs allows us to understand and predict the behavior of dynamic systems. Many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits, can be described using ODEs. By solving these equations, we can make informed decisions and design more efficient systems.

4. What are some methods for solving ODEs?

There are several methods for solving ODEs, including analytical methods (such as separation of variables and variation of parameters) and numerical methods (such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods). The choice of method depends on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are ODEs only used in science and engineering?

No, ODEs can also be used in various other fields, such as economics, biology, and social sciences. They are a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of dynamic systems in any field that involves change over time.