Finding z coord. drection angle given x and y coord. direction angle

In summary, the x and y coordinate direction angles of a vector are 50 and 105 degrees, respectively. If the z component of the vector points in the negative z direction, the z coordinate direction angle can be found by first determining the unit vector of the vector, and then using its length and angle to solve for the z component. However, since no specific vector is given, the exact solution cannot be determined.
anonymous812

Homework Statement

The x and y coordinate direction angles of a vector are 50 and 105 degrees, respectively. If the z component of the vector points in the negative z direction, what is the z coordinate direction angle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to try using cos^-1(z comp/magnitude) but since I'm not given a specific vector, that wouldn't work..
Can someone kind of explain how to go about solving this? I feel like it's easy and I'm making it complicated.
Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
anonymous812 said:

Homework Statement

The x and y coordinate direction angles of a vector are 50 and 105 degrees, respectively. If the z component of the vector points in the negative z direction, what is the z coordinate direction angle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was going to try using cos^-1(z comp/magnitude) but since I'm not given a specific vector, that wouldn't work..
Can someone kind of explain how to go about solving this? I feel like it's easy and I'm making it complicated.
Much appreciated!

If your vector is ##\vec{u}##, then ##\hat{u} = \frac{\vec{u}}{|\vec{u}|}## is a unit vector. From this you can get the length of the z-component and the angle the z-component makes with the z-axis.

I don't really understand what you mean. how would I solve for the vector without having any values to work with?

Related to Finding z coord. drection angle given x and y coord. direction angle

1. How do I find the z coordinate direction angle given the x and y coordinate direction angles?

To find the z coordinate direction angle, you will need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions will allow you to calculate the z coordinate direction angle using the x and y coordinate direction angles.

2. What are the equations for finding the z coordinate direction angle?

The equation for finding the z coordinate direction angle will depend on the specific scenario and coordinate system being used. In general, you can use the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric functions to calculate the z coordinate direction angle.

3. Can I find the z coordinate direction angle without knowing the x and y coordinate direction angles?

No, the z coordinate direction angle is dependent on the x and y coordinate direction angles. You will need to know both of these values in order to calculate the z coordinate direction angle.

4. How do I use the x and y coordinate direction angles to determine the z coordinate direction angle?

You can use the x and y coordinate direction angles to create a right triangle, where the hypotenuse represents the z coordinate direction angle. Then, you can use trigonometric functions to find the length of the hypotenuse and therefore the z coordinate direction angle.

5. Are there any online tools or calculators that can help me find the z coordinate direction angle?

Yes, there are many online calculators and tools that can help you find the z coordinate direction angle given the x and y coordinate direction angles. These can include geometry calculators or trigonometric calculators.