Findng electric force for line of charge

In summary, the problem involves finding the force acting on an electron located at a certain distance from a line of positive charge on the x axis. The solution involves using Coulomb's formula and integrating the component of force along the x axis. There is confusion about the distance between the electron and a dx element of the line, as well as the angle between the line and the electron's position.
lonewolf219

Homework Statement

Find the force acting on an electron located "d" distance from the midpoint of a line of charge, length "L", located on the x axis. The line of charge is positive.

Homework Equations

F(e)=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

λ=linear density, here the charge is uniform.
So, dq=λdx I think?
The distance is the variable that is changing, so we should integrate the dx and the limits should be over the length of the line?

k, e(electron) and λ are constant and can be brought out of integral... if the origin is the midpoint, then the limits of integration are -L/2 to L/2? The solution the book gives is the following:

4keλL/(4d^2-L^2)

I don't know where I'm going wrong with this equation, maybe I have the wrong r value?
Is r=(d-x)^2 when dx is along the positive x axis?
Any tips or perspectives would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi lonewolf219! :smile:
lonewolf219 said:
So, dq=λdx I think?

yes
Is r=(d-x)^2 when dx is along the positive x axis?

how can a distance equal a distance squared? :confused:

(and don't forget that force is a vector, so you'll need to integrate the component :wink:)

Ah, yes, that's why I prefer energy! The electron is also along the x axis, so the angle between the line and the electron is 0, so cos(0)=1?

Using Coulomb's formula, where denominator "r" is squared. The distance between the electron and a dx element of the line (?) can be represented by what? Is it d-x, where we don't know the value of x? Or d+x?

lonewolf219 said:
Using Coulomb's formula, where denominator "r" is squared. The distance between the electron and a dx element of the line (?) can be represented by what? Is it d-x, where we don't know the value of x? Or d+x?

ah, i think the question means that the electron is on the y axis
The electron is also along the x axis, so the angle between the line and the electron is 0, so cos(0)=1?

see above :wink:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical concept behind the calculation. The electric force acting on an electron is given by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In this case, we have a positive line of charge and an electron located at a distance "d" from the midpoint.

To find the electric force, we can use the equation F(e) = kq1q2/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and r is the distance between them. In our case, q1 is the charge of the electron, which is a fundamental constant, and q2 is the charge of the line of charge, which is given by the linear density λ and the length of the line L.

Next, we need to find the distance r between the electron and the line of charge. Since the line of charge is located on the x axis, we can use the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the distance. The distance r is given by r = √(d^2 + x^2), where x is the distance from the midpoint of the line of charge.

Now, we can set up an integral to take into account the changing distance x along the line of charge. The limits of integration will be from -L/2 to L/2, as the line of charge extends from -L/2 to L/2. The integrand will then be the force equation F(e) multiplied by the linear density λ and the infinitesimal distance dx.

After integrating, we will get the following equation:

F = ∫ k(e)(λdx)/√(d^2 + x^2)^2

Simplifying this equation will give us the solution provided by the book: 4k(e)λL/(4d^2 - L^2).

If you are still having trouble understanding the solution, I would suggest breaking down the problem into smaller steps and understanding each concept before moving on to the next. It may also be helpful to consult with your professor or a tutor for further clarification.

Related to Findng electric force for line of charge

1. How do I calculate the electric force for a line of charge?

The electric force for a line of charge can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is equal to the product of the charges divided by the square of the distance between them. For a line of charge, this formula can be simplified to F = λQ/2πε0r, where λ is the linear charge density (charge per unit length), Q is the charge of the object, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line of charge.

2. What is the direction of the electric force for a line of charge?

The direction of the electric force for a line of charge is determined by the relative positions of the two charges involved. If the charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative), the force will be repulsive and point away from the line of charge. If the charges have opposite signs, the force will be attractive and point towards the line of charge.

3. Can the electric force for a line of charge be negative?

Yes, the electric force for a line of charge can be negative. This occurs when the charges involved have opposite signs and the force is attractive. In this case, the negative sign indicates that the force is directed towards the line of charge.

4. How does the distance from the line of charge affect the electric force?

The electric force for a line of charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the line of charge. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases. So, the closer an object is to the line of charge, the stronger the electric force will be.

5. Can the electric force for a line of charge be affected by other charges nearby?

Yes, the electric force for a line of charge can be affected by other charges nearby. This is because electric forces are additive, meaning that the total force on an object is the sum of all the individual forces acting on it from other charges. So, if there are other charges present near the line of charge, they can contribute to the overall electric force acting on an object.