Finite difference formulation ideas (journal verification)

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating a transient 2D heat conduction plate with composite slabs on it. The plate is initially at 0OC and the authors maintain two sides at 100OC and the other remaining sides at 50OC. The participants hypothesize that the boundaries are varying with time and discuss different models such as Newton's law of cooling. The final diagram shows that the first grid point approaches the boundary temperature as time goes on. The conversation concludes with the issue being resolved.
maistral
Hi. I am trying to simulate this paper since apparently I have a lot of time.

Scrolling down to the last page, he simulated a transient 2D heat conduction plate with composite slabs on it. Darkest one is copper, lighter one is steel, lightest one is glass.

If you look closely, the authors said they maintained two sides at 100OC and the other remaining sides at 50OC. Note that the plate was initially at 0OC.

My question is, judging the diagrams they made - how did they do this? My hypothesis is that the boundary is varying with time, yes? So does that mean that the boundary conditions are functions with respect to time? Or am I missing something here; that my finite differencing is wrong? Currently my finite difference is setting the boundaries at 100 and 50, so at any time t the boundaries are 100 and 50.

amv9yt.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I have seen situations like this described. If I remember correctly, you model it as it is touching something which maintains the temperature constant over time (100 for two boundaries and 50 for the other two). The material itself starts to absorb heat from the touching surface, and starts to rise in temperature (which material near it absorbs heat and starts to rise, etc). Yes you will see the (copper?) material very near the boundary rise with time. Near the corners notice how it approaches a very sharp change in temperature (see how it looks as time goes toward infinity). Hopefully that helps you.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Then I guess my hypothesis is correct. You model the boundaries as something that varies with time.

Newton's law of cooling on the boundaries as functions of time is it? Or are there other models that you can suggest? Thanks!

maistral said:
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Then I guess my hypothesis is correct. You model the boundaries as something that varies with time.
Newton's law of cooling on the boundaries as functions of time is it? Or are there other models that you can suggest? Thanks!

No, I don't think so. The boundaries are at 100C on the front and back edges and 50C on the left and right edges, independent of time. As scottdave says, the material heats up with time and approaches the steady state condition shown in the bottom left. The plots aren't plotting the actual boundary points, but are starting at the first grid point inside the boundary - that is why the plots are changing with time.

Thanks for the reply!

That was my initial assumption too. But I couldn't explain the final diagram where it did end up at 100 and 50Unless they used a ridiculously small step, or they chose to not plot the boundaries in the first parts [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

maistral said:
That was my initial assumption too. But I couldn't explain the final diagram where it did end up at 100 and 50
Unless they used a ridiculously small step, or they chose to not plot the boundaries in the first parts

I'm not sure I understand you . I don't think they are plotting the actual boundaries in any of the plots. But the first grid point, which is very near the boundary, gets very close to the boundary temperature as time goes on. Does that make sense?

Yes I do understand what you mean. But check their final diagram.

If they did not plot the boundaries how could it have ended up at 100 or 50? Shouldn't it be a bit lesser?

maistral said:
Yes I do understand what you mean. But check their final diagram.
If they did not plot the boundaries how could it have ended up at 100 or 50? Shouldn't it be a bit lesser?

It probably is a little bit less than 100 and greater than 50. How can you tell?

... googly eyes. Lol. [emoji23][emoji23]

Thanks for answering. I think my issue is resolved.

Related to Finite difference formulation ideas (journal verification)

1. What is the finite difference method?

The finite difference method is a numerical technique used to solve differential equations by approximating the derivatives of a function using discrete values. It essentially breaks down a continuous problem into smaller, discrete problems that can be solved using algebraic equations.

2. How does the finite difference method work?

The finite difference method works by dividing a continuous problem into smaller intervals and approximating the derivatives of the function at discrete points within each interval. These discrete points are then used to create a system of algebraic equations that can be solved to find the solution to the original problem.

3. What are some advantages of using the finite difference method?

Some advantages of using the finite difference method include its simplicity, flexibility, and ease of implementation. It can also handle complex boundary conditions and is computationally efficient for problems with a large number of variables.

4. Are there any limitations to the finite difference method?

Yes, there are limitations to the finite difference method. It may not accurately capture the behavior of a function in regions where it is highly non-linear or has steep gradients. It also requires a fine grid resolution to accurately capture the behavior of the function, which can be computationally expensive.

5. What is the role of journal verification in finite difference formulation ideas?

Journal verification is an important aspect of finite difference formulation ideas as it involves testing and validating the accuracy and effectiveness of a proposed method or algorithm. It helps ensure that the results obtained from using the finite difference method are reliable and can be replicated by other researchers. Journal verification also helps identify any potential errors or limitations of the method and suggests improvements for future research.