Finite difference Poisson's equation

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an eigenvalue differential equation numerically using a finite difference scheme. The equation is in polar coordinates and has a boundary condition that the eigenfunction is zero on the boundary of a circular disk. The method being used assumes different boundary conditions, so there are some problems. It is suggested to change the method or look into available options for solving two-point boundary-value problems.
aaaa202
I am trying to solve the following eigenvalue differential equation numerically:

2ψ = Eψ

, where the coordinate system is polar coordinates and the boundary condition is ψ(R,Φ)=0, where R is the radius of the disk i am working on.

To solve it I am using a finite difference scheme, but there are some problems. The radial equation is:

(-∂2ψ/∂r2-1/r ∂/∂r + m^2/r^2) = Eψ

But since I am discretizing this differential operator on the interval (0,R), the method I use assumes that ψ(0)=ψ(R)=0, which is not the boundary condition I want. How do I implement the one I want (that the eigenfunction is zero on the boundary of the circular disk)?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
I am trying to solve the following eigenvalue differential equation numerically:

2ψ = Eψ

, where the coordinate system is polar coordinates and the boundary condition is ψ(R,Φ)=0, where R is the radius of the disk i am working on.

To solve it I am using a finite difference scheme, but there are some problems. The radial equation is:

(-∂2ψ/∂r2-1/r ∂/∂r + m^2/r^2) = Eψ

But since I am discretizing this differential operator on the interval (0,R), the method I use assumes that ψ(0)=ψ(R)=0, which is not the boundary condition I want. How do I implement the one I want (that the eigenfunction is zero on the boundary of the circular disk)?

Does you radial equation contain a 'typo'? Should it not be
[tex] \frac{\partial^2 \Psi}{\partial r ^2} + \frac{1}{r} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial r} = E \psi ? [/tex]
Your original equation ##\nabla^2 \Psi = E \Psi## has no ##m^2/r^2## term anywhere in it, so this should not magically appear just by switching to polar coordinates.

Anyway, you need ##\partial \Psi (r) / \partial r \to 0## as ##r \to 0+## in order prevent the term ##(1/r) \partial \Psi / \partial r## from blowing up near the origin.

Finally, if the method you use assumes the wrong boundary conditions, change the method!

By the way: your problem is a so-called "two-point boundary-value problem", and such problems are usually harder to deal with than standard boundary-value problems. Google 'two-point boundary value problems' to see what is available for numerical solutions, etc.

Last edited:

Related to Finite difference Poisson's equation

1. What is the Finite Difference method?

The Finite Difference method is a numerical method used to solve differential equations, such as Poisson's equation, by approximating the derivatives with discrete difference equations. This method is commonly used in scientific and engineering fields to solve complex equations that cannot be solved analytically.

2. What is Poisson's equation?

Poisson's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the distribution of a potential field in a given region, based on the distribution of sources or charges within that region. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model electric and gravitational fields.

3. How is the Finite Difference method applied to Poisson's equation?

The Finite Difference method works by discretizing the domain into a grid and approximating the derivatives at each point on the grid. These approximations are then used to form a system of linear equations, which can be solved using numerical methods to obtain an approximate solution to Poisson's equation.

4. What are the advantages of using the Finite Difference method for Poisson's equation?

The Finite Difference method is relatively easy to implement and can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions. It also provides a high level of accuracy, especially when the grid is refined. Additionally, the method is computationally efficient and can be applied to a wide range of problems.

5. What are the limitations of the Finite Difference method for Poisson's equation?

The accuracy of the Finite Difference method is dependent on the grid spacing, and a finer grid is required for more complex solutions. This can lead to increased computational costs. Additionally, the method is limited to solving linear equations and may not be suitable for nonlinear problems. It also requires a smooth and continuous solution, making it less suitable for problems with discontinuities or singularities.