Finitely Generated Modules and Ascending Chains

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modules
In summary: C_n+1 = M$ is not proper, since $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$ and $C_n+1eq M$. This contradicts the fact that $M = C_r$. Hope that helps!
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading "Introduction to Ring Theory" by P. M. Cohn (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series)

In Chapter 2: Linear Algebras and Artinian Rings we find Proposition 2.4 on finitely generated modules and chain conditions. I need help with some aspects of the proof.

Proposition 2.4 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3177
View attachment 3178

I need help (at first anyway - the second part of the proof is even more challenging) with showing that the following implication holds:"A module \(\displaystyle M\) is finitely generated \(\displaystyle \ \Longrightarrow \ \) the union of every ascending chain of proper submodules is proper … "
Cohn begins the proof of this implication by assuming that M is finitely generated.

He then assumes that we have a ascending chain of submodules \(\displaystyle C_1 \subset C_2 \subset C_3 \subset … \ … \ …\) whose union is \(\displaystyle M\) (i.e. the union is not a proper submodule)

He then deduces that not all the \(\displaystyle C_i\) are proper submodules … … ...I am having problems in seeing how this proves the above implication … can someone explain the logic involved?It seems to me (but I am uncertain!) that Cohn's strategy is something like the following …

1. Assume M is finitely generated …2. … then seek to prove that:

if we have an ascending chain of proper submodules
then its union is a proper submodule

3. Prove the contrapositive of 2, so that we have that 2 follows from assumption 1Is this a correct description/interpretation of Cohn's proof?

Hope someone can clarify the above … …[Surely there is a more straightforward proof!]

Peter

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading "Introduction to Ring Theory" by P. M. Cohn (Springer Undergraduate Mathematics Series)

In Chapter 2: Linear Algebras and Artinian Rings we find Proposition 2.4 on finitely generated modules and chain conditions. I need help with some aspects of the proof.

Proposition 2.4 reads as follows:https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/3177
View attachment 3178

I need help (at first anyway - the second part of the proof is even more challenging) with showing that the following implication holds:"A module \(\displaystyle M\) is finitely generated \(\displaystyle \ \Longrightarrow \ \) the union of every ascending chain of proper submodules is proper … "
Cohn begins the proof of this implication by assuming that M is finitely generated.

He then assumes that we have a ascending chain of submodules \(\displaystyle C_1 \subset C_2 \subset C_3 \subset … \ … \ …\) whose union is \(\displaystyle M\) (i.e. the union is not a proper submodule)

He then deduces that not all the \(\displaystyle C_i\) are proper submodules … … ...I am having problems in seeing how this proves the above implication … can someone explain the logic involved?It seems to me (but I am uncertain!) that Cohn's strategy is something like the following …

1. Assume M is finitely generated …2. … then seek to prove that:

if we have an ascending chain of proper submodules
then its union is a proper submodule

3. Prove the contrapositive of 2, so that we have that 2 follows from assumption 1Is this a correct description/interpretation of Cohn's proof?

Hope someone can clarify the above … …[Surely there is a more straightforward proof!]

Peter

Hi Peter,

I can see how you're having difficulty following Cohn's proof. Hopefully I can clear things up. In the theorem, $M$ is an $R$-module.

The proof has two components. The forward direction has a contradiction argument and the reverse direction has a contrapositive argument. To prove the forward direction, suppose $M$ is a finitely generated $R$-module such that for some ascending chain $C_1 \subset C_2 \subset \cdots$ of proper submodules of $M$, the union $\cup C_i = M$. Let $M$ be generated by $u_1,\ldots, u_n$. Since the $u_j$ belong to $\cup C_i$, each $u_j$ belongs to at least one $C_i$. So, for each $j \in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, there corresponds an index $r_j$ such that $u_j \in C_{r_j}$. If $r$ is the largest of the indices $r_1,\ldots, r_n$, then the ascending chain implies $u_j \in C_r$ for all $j$. Consequently, $\sum u_i R = C_r$. Since $M$ is generated by the $u_i$, $M = \sum u_i R$ and thus $M = C_r$. We have found an element of the $C$-chain that is not proper. This is a contradiction. Now for the reverse direction, we show that if $M$ is not finitely generated, then there is some ascending chain of proper submodules of $M$ whose union is not proper. Here we inductively construct a sequence $C_n$ of finitely generated submodules of $M$ such that $C_0 = 0$ and $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1}R$ where $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$. Take $a_1 \neq 0$ and define $C_1 = a_1 R$. Having chosen $a_1,\ldots, a_n$, choose $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$ and let $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1} R$. By construction, $C_n$ is a strict, ascending chain of submodules of $M$. Since $M$ is not finitely generated, each $C_n$ is proper. However, $\cup C_n = M$.

Last edited:
Euge said:
Hi Peter,

I can see how you're having difficulty following Cohn's proof. Hopefully I can clear things up. In the theorem, $M$ is an $R$-module.

The proof has two components. The forward direction has a contradiction argument and the reverse direction has a contrapositive argument. To prove the forward direction, suppose $M$ is a finitely generated $R$-module such that for some ascending chain $C_1 \subset C_2 \subset \cdots$ of proper submodules of $M$, the union $\cup C_i = M$. Let $M$ be generated by $u_1,\ldots, u_n$. Since the $u_j$ belong to $\cup C_i$, each $u_j$ belongs to at least one $C_i$. So, for each $j \in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, there corresponds an index $r_j$ such that $u_j \in C_{r_j}$. If $r$ is the largest of the indices $r_1,\ldots, r_n$, then the ascending chain implies $u_j \in C_r$ for all $j$. Consequently, $\sum u_i R = C_r$. Since $M$ is generated by the $u_i$, $M = \sum u_i R$ and thus $M = C_r$. We have found an element of the $C$-chain that is not proper. This is a contradiction. Now for the reverse direction, we show that if $M$ is not finitely generated, then there is some ascending chain of proper submodules of $M$ whose union is not proper. Here we inductively construct a sequence $C_n$ of finitely generated submodules of $M$ such that $C_0 = 0$ and $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1}R$ where $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$. Take $a_1 \neq 0$ and define $C_1 = a_1 R$. Having chosen $a_1,\ldots, a_n$, choose $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$ and let $C_n = C_{n-1} + a_n R$. By construction, $C_n$ is a strict, ascending chain of submodules of $M$. Since $M$ is not finitely generated, each $C_n$ is proper. However, $\cup C_n \neq M$.

Thanks for the help Euge … at first glance your proof is much clearer … just working through the details now …Thanks again,

Peter***EDIT*** Indeed your proof is very clear ... I wish Cohn would proceed by such clear arguments ...

Thanks again for your help ...

Last edited:
Just to add something, here:

If $C_0$ is a submodule of $M$ with $C_0 = \langle S\rangle$ and $a_1 \not\in C_0$, then $C_1 = \langle a_1,S\rangle$ is a submodule of $M$ that $C_0$ is properly contained in.

If doing this process terminates in a finite number of steps with $C_k = M$, clearly $M$ is generated by $\{a_1,\dots,a_k\} \cup S$. In particular, if $S$ is finite (or empty), then $M$ is finitely-generated.

So if $M$ is not finitely-generated, the above process cannot possibly terminate.

Conceivably, one might imagine that $M$ is such a module that an infinite union of infinitely many ascending submodules is all of $M$, but that none of these submodules by itself is all of $M$. For example, $M$ might be the direct sum of countably infinitely many copies of $\Bbb Z$.

Here we could take:

$\displaystyle C_k = \bigoplus_{i = 1}^k \Bbb Z$

and while $\displaystyle M = \bigcup_{k = 1}^{\infty} C_k$ (since every element of $M$ has all 0's after some coordinate, that is, lies in some $C_k$) it is clear that no FINITE sum of a finite number of elements of $M$ (no matter which ones we choose) can account for EVERY element of $M$ (we can look at the maximum position of a non-zero coordinate in the set of generators, and all the elements of $M$ with non-zero coordinates past this position are not in the generated submodule).

In this particular example, we see that $M$ cannot be finitely-generated (this is very much like saying polynomials can have no maximum degree).

Cohn's theorem says: "this example is not too special", that non-finitely-generated modules behave the same way, and that finitely-generated modules "can't do this".

Something for you to ponder:

$\Bbb Q$ is an abelian group ($\Bbb Z$-module) under normal addition with the scalar multiplication:

$k \cdot \dfrac{a}{b} = \dfrac{ka}{b}$ for $k,a \in \Bbb Z$, and $b \in \Bbb Z^{\ast}$.

Is this module finitely-generated?

Deveno said:

If $C_0$ is a submodule of $M$ with $C_0 = \langle S\rangle$ and $a_1 \not\in C_0$, then $C_1 = \langle a_1,S\rangle$ is a submodule of $M$ that $C_0$ is properly contained in.

If doing this process terminates in a finite number of steps with $C_k = M$, clearly $M$ is generated by $\{a_1,\dots,a_k\} \cup S$. In particular, if $S$ is finite (or empty), then $M$ is finitely-generated.

So if $M$ is not finitely-generated, the above process cannot possibly terminate.

Conceivably, one might imagine that $M$ is such a module that an infinite union of infinitely many ascending submodules is all of $M$, but that none of these submodules by itself is all of $M$. For example, $M$ might be the direct sum of countably infinitely many copies of $\Bbb Z$.

Here we could take:

and while $\displaystyle M = \bigcup_{k = 1}^{\infty} C_k$ (since every element of $M$ has all 0's after some coordinate, that is, lies in some $C_k$) it is clear that no FINITE sum of a finite number of elements of $M$ (no matter which ones we choose) can account for EVERY element of $M$ (we can look at the maximum position of a non-zero coordinate in the set of generators, and all the elements of $M$ with non-zero coordinates past this position are not in the generated submodule).

In this particular example, we see that $M$ cannot be finitely-generated (this is very much like saying polynomials can have no maximum degree).

Cohn's theorem says: "this example is not too special", that non-finitely-generated modules behave the same way, and that finitely-generated modules "can't do this".

$\Bbb Q$ is an abelian group ($\Bbb Z$-module) under normal addition with the scalar multiplication:

$k \cdot \dfrac{a}{b} = \dfrac{ka}{b}$ for $k,a \in \Bbb Z$, and $b \in \Bbb Z^{\ast}$.

Thanks Deveno … your thoughts in this post were extremely important in enhancing my understanding of finitely generated modules!

Peter

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

The proof has two components. The forward direction has a contradiction argument and the reverse direction has a contrapositive argument. To prove the forward direction, suppose $M$ is a finitely generated $R$-module such that for some ascending chain $C_1 \subset C_2 \subset \cdots$ of proper submodules of $M$, the union $\cup C_i = M$. Let $M$ be generated by $u_1,\ldots, u_n$. Since the $u_j$ belong to $\cup C_i$, each $u_j$ belongs to at least one $C_i$. So, for each $j \in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, there corresponds an index $r_j$ such that $u_j \in C_{r_j}$. If $r$ is the largest of the indices $r_1,\ldots, r_n$, then the ascending chain implies $u_j \in C_r$ for all $j$. Consequently, $\sum u_i R = C_r$. Since $M$ is generated by the $u_i$, $M = \sum u_i R$ and thus $M = C_r$. We have found an element of the $C$-chain that is not proper. This is a contradiction. Now for the reverse direction, we show that if $M$ is not finitely generated, then there is some ascending chain of proper submodules of $M$ whose union is not proper. Here we inductively construct a sequence $C_n$ of finitely generated submodules of $M$ such that $C_0 = 0$ and $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1}R$ where $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$. Take $a_1 \neq 0$ and define $C_1 = a_1 R$. Having chosen $a_1,\ldots, a_n$, choose $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$ and let $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1} R$. By construction, $C_n$ is a strict, ascending chain of submodules of $M$. Since $M$ is not finitely generated, each $C_n$ is proper. However, $\cup C_n \neq M$.
Sorry Euge, I was too quick in claiming that I understood your proof … I have been reviewing your proof (and working on a problem that Deveno set me) and now have a concern ...

For the reverse direction in your proof we have to show the following:

The union of every ascending chain of proper submodules of a module M is a proper submodule \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) M is finitely generated

Now we choose to demonstrate the contrapositive which is as follows:

M is NOT finitely generated \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) There exists an
ascending chain of proper submodules of M whose union is NOT proper

Now in your proof you construct an ascending chain \(\displaystyle C_n\) of proper submodules of M and then state the following:

"However, $\cup C_n \neq M$."

BUT … then the union of the \(\displaystyle C_n\) IS PROPER …

Didn't we want to show that there existed such a chain whose union was NOT proper i.e. $\cup C_n = M$?

Can you help?

Peter

Peter said:
Sorry Euge, I was too quick in claiming that I understood your proof … I have been reviewing your proof (and working on a problem that Deveno set me) and now have a concern ...

For the reverse direction in your proof we have to show the following:

The union of every ascending chain of proper submodules of a module M is a proper submodule \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) M is finitely generated

Now we choose to demonstrate the contrapositive which is as follows:

M is NOT finitely generated \(\displaystyle \Longrightarrow\) There exists an
ascending chain of proper submodules of M whose union is NOT proper

Now in your proof you construct an ascending chain \(\displaystyle C_n\) of proper submodules of M and then state the following:

"However, $\cup C_n \neq M$."

BUT … then the union of the \(\displaystyle C_n\) IS PROPER …

Didn't we want to show that there existed such a chain whose union was NOT proper i.e. $\cup C_n = M$?

Can you help?

Peter

That was a typo. Sorry about that! I've made the correction.

Euge said:
Hi Peter,

The proof has two components. The forward direction has a contradiction argument and the reverse direction has a contrapositive argument. To prove the forward direction, suppose $M$ is a finitely generated $R$-module such that for some ascending chain $C_1 \subset C_2 \subset \cdots$ of proper submodules of $M$, the union $\cup C_i = M$. Let $M$ be generated by $u_1,\ldots, u_n$. Since the $u_j$ belong to $\cup C_i$, each $u_j$ belongs to at least one $C_i$. So, for each $j \in \{1,2,\ldots, n\}$, there corresponds an index $r_j$ such that $u_j \in C_{r_j}$. If $r$ is the largest of the indices $r_1,\ldots, r_n$, then the ascending chain implies $u_j \in C_r$ for all $j$. Consequently, $\sum u_i R = C_r$. Since $M$ is generated by the $u_i$, $M = \sum u_i R$ and thus $M = C_r$. We have found an element of the $C$-chain that is not proper. This is a contradiction. Now for the reverse direction, we show that if $M$ is not finitely generated, then there is some ascending chain of proper submodules of $M$ whose union is not proper. Here we inductively construct a sequence $C_n$ of finitely generated submodules of $M$ such that $C_0 = 0$ and $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1}R$ where $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$. Take $a_1 \neq 0$ and define $C_1 = a_1 R$. Having chosen $a_1,\ldots, a_n$, choose $a_{n+1} \in M \setminus C_n$ and let $C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1} R$. By construction, $C_n$ is a strict, ascending chain of submodules of $M$. Since $M$ is not finitely generated, each $C_n$ is proper. However, $\cup C_n = M$.
Thanks for the correction Euge, but can you explain how it is that we get $\cup C_n = M$?

Peter

Deveno said:

Here we could take:

Thanks again for the help Deveno ...

You write:

" … … Something for you to ponder:

Is this module finitely-generated?"
Well, let us follow the process Euge (and Cohn) outlined and construct a strictly ascending sequence of finitely generated (and hence proper) submodules of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) such that:

\(\displaystyle C_0 = 0\) and \(\displaystyle C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1} \mathbb{Z} \)

where \(\displaystyle a_{n+1} = s_{n+1}/t_{n+1}\) and \(\displaystyle s_{n+1}, t_{n+1} \in \mathbb{Z} so a_{n+1} \in \mathbb{Q}\) and, further where \(\displaystyle a_{n+1} \in \mathbb{Q}\ C_n\)Then we have:

\(\displaystyle C_0 = 0\)\(\displaystyle C_1 = C_0 + a_1 \mathbb{Z}\) where \(\displaystyle a_1 =s_1/t_1\) and \(\displaystyle a_1 \in \mathbb{Q}\)

so that \(\displaystyle C_1\) is generated by \(\displaystyle a_1\)
\(\displaystyle C_2 = C_1 + a_2 \mathbb{Z}\) where \(\displaystyle a_2 =s_2/t_2\) and \(\displaystyle a_2 \in \mathbb{Q}\)

so that \(\displaystyle C_2 \) is generated by \(\displaystyle a_1, a_2\)and so on …Then we have generated a strictly increasing (and infinite) chain of proper submodules …Now given the chain is strictly increasing and infinite we have \(\displaystyle \sum_n C_N = \mathbb{Q}\) …BUT note I am VERY uncertain of this last step asserting that \(\displaystyle \sum_n C_N = \mathbb{Q}\) … can you help with the explanation?

Could you please critique my analysis above and/or confirm it is OK?

Peter

Last edited:
Peter said:
Thanks again for the help Deveno ...

You write:

" … … Something for you to ponder:

Is this module finitely-generated?"
Well, let us follow the process Euge (and Cohn) outlined and construct a strictly ascending sequence of finitely generated (and hence proper) submodules of \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Q}\) such that:

\(\displaystyle C_0 = 0\) and \(\displaystyle C_{n+1} = C_n + a_{n+1} \mathbb{Z} \)

where \(\displaystyle a_{n+1} = s_{n+1}/t_{n+1}\) and \(\displaystyle s_{n+1}, t_{n+1} \in \mathbb{Z} so a_{n+1} \in \mathbb{Q}\) and, further where \(\displaystyle a_{n+1} \in \mathbb{Q}\ C_n\)Then we have:

\(\displaystyle C_0 = 0\)\(\displaystyle C_1 = C_0 + a_1 \mathbb{Z}\) where \(\displaystyle a_1 =s_1/t_1\) and \(\displaystyle a_1 \in \mathbb{Q}\)

so that \(\displaystyle C_1\) is generated by \(\displaystyle a_1\)
\(\displaystyle C_2 = C_1 + a_2 \mathbb{Z}\) where \(\displaystyle a_2 =s_2/t_2\) and \(\displaystyle a_2 \in \mathbb{Q}\)

so that \(\displaystyle C_2 \) is generated by \(\displaystyle a_1, a_2\)and so on …Then we have generated a strictly increasing (and infinite) chain of proper submodules …Now given the chain is strictly increasing and infinite we have \(\displaystyle \sum_n C_N = \mathbb{Q}\) …BUT note I am VERY uncertain of this last step asserting that \(\displaystyle \sum_n C_N = \mathbb{Q}\) … can you help with the explanation?

Could you please critique my analysis above and/or confirm it is OK?

Peter

Your argument is incomplete: how are you choosing the $a_j$, specifically?

In order for the inclusion of $C_j \subset C_{j+1}$ to be STRICT, we had better ensure $a_{j+1} \not\in C_j$.

Now, you would do well to consider $C_1 = a_1\Bbb Z$. What does this submodule look like?

It's fair to assume that $a_1 = \dfrac{s_1}{t_1}$ where $\text{gcd}(s_1,t_1) = 1$.

How could we ensure $a_2 = \dfrac{s_2}{t_2} \neq k\dfrac{s_1}{t_1}$ for ANY $k \in \Bbb Z$?

I'll give you a hint: $\Bbb Z$ is a UFD, with unique factorization into ____?

To be a little more obvious, suppose we take $C_1 = \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)$.

Is $\frac{1}{3} \in C_1$?

(You might want to look up "fractional ideals").

Deveno said:
Your argument is incomplete: how are you choosing the $a_j$, specifically?

In order for the inclusion of $C_j \subset C_{j+1}$ to be STRICT, we had better ensure $a_{j+1} \not\in C_j$.

Now, you would do well to consider $C_1 = a_1\Bbb Z$. What does this submodule look like?

It's fair to assume that $a_1 = \dfrac{s_1}{t_1}$ where $\text{gcd}(s_1,t_1) = 1$.

How could we ensure $a_2 = \dfrac{s_2}{t_2} \neq k\dfrac{s_1}{t_1}$ for ANY $k \in \Bbb Z$?

I'll give you a hint: $\Bbb Z$ is a UFD, with unique factorization into ____?

To be a little more obvious, suppose we take $C_1 = \left(\frac{1}{2}\right)$.

Is $\frac{1}{3} \in C_1$?

(You might want to look up "fractional ideals").

Hi Deveno … thanks for the help … just a quick thought before I go and look up fractional ideals …

Would a solution be as follows?:

\(\displaystyle C_0 = 0\)

\(\displaystyle C_1 = <1/2>\)

\(\displaystyle C_2 = <1/2, 1/3>\)

\(\displaystyle C_3 = <1/2, 1/3, 1/5>\)

… … and so on ...

So the sequence \(\displaystyle a_n \) is \(\displaystyle 1/n\) where n is the sequence of ascending primes … and so the sequence C_n is an infinite strictly ascending chain of submodules

***EDITS***

BUT …

1. … … possibly something wrong with this as I haven't used fact the \(\displaystyle \mathbb{Z}\) is a UFD!

2. … further, I have not followed your advice to consider \(\displaystyle C_1 + a_1 \mathbb{Z}, C_2 + a_2 \mathbb{Z}, C_3 + a_3 \mathbb{Z}\), … .. and so on … but maybe we could amend above 'solution' to read as follows:

MATH]C_0 = 0[/MATH]

\(\displaystyle C_1 = <1/2> \mathbb{Z}\)

\(\displaystyle C_2 = <1/2, 1/3> \mathbb{Z}\)

\(\displaystyle C_3 = <1/2, 1/3, 1/5> \mathbb{Z} \)

… … and so on …BUT … sadly, apart from your advice, I do not know exactly why I am suggesting this … unless it has to do with assuring that \(\displaystyle \sum_n C_n = M\) …Can you clarify?Peter

Last edited:
Well, let's see if:

$\langle \frac{1}{n}\rangle = \frac{1}{n}\Bbb Z$.

Since $1 \in \Bbb Z$, clearly the RHS contains the LHS, since $\langle \frac{1}{n}\rangle$ is the smallest submodule of $\Bbb Z$ containing $\frac{1}{n}$.

On the other hand, if $k \in \Bbb Z$, then:

$\dfrac{k}{n} = \dfrac{1}{n} + \cdots + \dfrac{1}{n}$ ($k$ summands), which is in $\langle \frac{1}{n}\rangle$ by closure (of addition).

Now, suppose that $\text{gcd}(a,b) = 1$ for $a,b \in \Bbb Z$ (so that there is $r,s \in \Bbb Z$ with $ra + sb = 1$). I claim that:

$\langle \frac{1}{a},\frac{1}{b}\rangle = \langle \frac{1}{ab}\rangle$.

It should be easy to see that the LHS contains the RHS, since:

$\dfrac{1}{ab} = \dfrac{ra + sb}{ab} = \dfrac{s}{a} + \dfrac{r}{b}$

On the other hand:

$\langle \frac{1}{a},\frac{1}{b}\rangle = \frac{1}{a}\Bbb Z + \frac{1}{b}\Bbb Z$, so a typical element is of the form:

$\dfrac{k}{a} + \dfrac{m}{b} = \dfrac{ma + kb}{ab} \in \frac{1}{ab}\Bbb Z = \langle \frac{1}{ab}\rangle$.

So now let's prove that:

$\displaystyle \Bbb Q = \sum_{p \text{ prime}} \left\langle \frac{1}{p} \right\rangle$.

Let $\dfrac{a}{b} \in \Bbb Q$ with $\text{gcd}(a,b) = 1$.

Factoring $b$ into primes, we have:

$\dfrac{a}{b} = \dfrac{a}{p_1p_2\cdots p_k}$.

Induction on $k$ show we can write this as:

$a\left(\dfrac{c_1}{p_1} + \cdots + \dfrac{c_k}{p_k}\right)$ for some integers $c_1,\dots,c_k$ (see the "two-factor case" above).

For example, let $a = 7,b = 30$. We have:

1 = 8(2) - 1(15), so $\frac{1}{30} = \frac{16}{30} - \frac{15}{30} = \frac{8}{15} - \frac{1}{2}$.

Similarly 1 = 2(5) - 3(3), so $\frac{1}{15} = \frac{10}{15} - \frac{9}{15} = \frac{2}{3} - \frac{3}{5}$.

So $\frac{7}{30} = 7(\frac{16}{3} - \frac{24}{5} - \frac{1}{2})$, that is:

$c_1 = -1,c_2 = 16,c_3 = -24$.

Now if we denote the $k$-th prime by $p_k$, and set:

$C_0 = \{0\}$

$C_1 = \langle \frac{1}{2}\rangle$

$C_{k+1} = C_k + \langle \frac{1}{p_{k+1}}\rangle =$$\displaystyle \sum_{j=1}^{k+1} \left\langle \frac{1}{p_j}\right\rangle$

to conclude this is an INFINITE proper chain, we need to know that there are infinitely many primes.

Related to Finitely Generated Modules and Ascending Chains

1. What is a finitely generated module?

A finitely generated module is a module that can be generated by a finite number of elements. This means that all elements in the module can be written as linear combinations of a finite set of generators.

2. How is a finitely generated module different from an infinitely generated module?

A finitely generated module has a finite basis, meaning it can be generated by a finite number of elements, while an infinitely generated module does not have a finite basis and requires an infinite number of elements to generate it.

3. What is an ascending chain in relation to modules?

An ascending chain is a sequence of submodules within a module, where each submodule is a subset of the next. In other words, the submodules are getting bigger and bigger as you move through the chain.

4. How does the concept of an ascending chain relate to finitely generated modules?

In the context of finitely generated modules, an ascending chain is a sequence of submodules where each submodule is generated by a finite number of elements. This means that the submodules are increasing in size, but they are still finitely generated.

5. Why is the concept of ascending chains important in the study of finitely generated modules?

Ascending chains are important because they allow us to analyze the structure and behavior of finitely generated modules. By understanding how submodules are related and how they grow in size, we can make important conclusions about the structure and properties of these modules.