Fireball in Sky: Cause & Explanation

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary, the cause of the fireball in the sky last night is believed to be a meteor based on its long visibility and brightness. The fragmentation seen also supports this theory as it is not typically seen with artificial satellites. The suggestion of a comet has been ruled out as it would have been seen approaching and the event would have been more similar to the Tunguska event. However, some individuals have expressed doubt due to their limited experience with meteors.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does anyone know the cause of the fireball in the sky last night? Was it a meteor?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/19162074

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
EnumaElish said:
Does anyone know the cause of the fireball in the sky last night? Was it a meteor?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/19162074

No official news has been released yet, but given how long it was visible and how bright it was, it pretty much had to be. If it was an artificial sattelite, I would expect a shorter burn time, and I wouldn't expect the fragmentation seen. If it was comet I think we'd have seen it coming, and I'd expect something along the lines of the Tunguska event.

Last edited by a moderator:
it was extremely bright for meteor in my opinions, all the meteors i have seen went much faster and weren't as bright

but i don't have much experience so my input is pretty invalid

There are several possible explanations for the fireball seen in the sky last night. One possibility is that it was a meteor, which is a small piece of debris from outer space that enters Earth's atmosphere and burns up due to friction. Another possibility is that it was a piece of space debris re-entering the atmosphere, such as a part of a satellite or rocket. It is also possible that it was a piece of space junk, such as a discarded piece of a spacecraft or satellite. More data and analysis would be needed to determine the exact cause of the fireball. Scientists will continue to monitor and study these events in order to better understand the nature of objects entering Earth's atmosphere and their potential impact on our planet.

Related to Fireball in Sky: Cause & Explanation

1. What causes a fireball in the sky?

A fireball in the sky is caused by a meteoroid, a small piece of debris from a comet or asteroid, entering Earth's atmosphere. When the meteoroid collides with air particles, it creates friction and heats up, producing the bright light and streak seen in the sky.

2. How big are fireballs in the sky?

The size of a fireball can vary, but they are typically caused by meteoroids ranging in size from a few millimeters to several meters. The larger the meteoroid, the brighter and longer-lasting the fireball will be.

3. Are fireballs in the sky dangerous?

Most fireballs in the sky are harmless and disintegrate before reaching the ground. However, larger fireballs can potentially cause damage if they do not completely burn up in the atmosphere. It is important to stay indoors and away from windows during a fireball event.

4. How often do fireballs occur?

Fireballs are a fairly common occurrence, with hundreds being reported each year. However, most of these events happen over uninhabited areas and are not visible to the general public. Only a small percentage of fireballs are seen by a large number of people.

5. Can fireballs be predicted?

Currently, there is no reliable way to predict when and where a fireball will occur. However, scientists are constantly monitoring the skies for potential threats and advancements in technology may one day allow for more accurate predictions.