Firefighter Problem: Solving for Angle & Horizontal Reach

• Thread starter barthayn
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a firefighter trying to spray water from a hose to a building a certain distance away and above the height of the hose. They are trying to determine if the water will reach the window and at what angle the hose needs to be aimed. The equations t = d / (v cos θ) and h = -4.9 sin θ t^2 + v sin θ t are used to solve the problem, and the conversation also mentions a question about proving an equation and finding an angle with multiple unknowns.
barthayn

Homework Statement

A firefighter on the street is trying to spray water from a hose to a building a horizontal distance x1 through a window a height h above the height of the hose (see figure in image below). For a given initial speed vo of water from the hose, we would like to future out if the water will reach the window, and if it does, then what angle (and how many angles are there) does he need to aim the hose at. (The questions are in the image below)

http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/1237/firefighter.th.gif

Homework Equations

t = d / (v cos θ)
h = -4.9 sin θ t^2 + v sin θ t

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried subbing in the horizontal time equation for t in the vertical displacement equation. But no luck for a. Any hints on how to prove the equation for a?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update.

I proved the question for a. It turns out that I forgot that a/a = 1 and not equal to 0 (lol)

How do I do b. I don't understand how you can solve for the angle that it can be equal to to give you only one angle that you have to use so that the water can enter into the window when there are so many unknowns. Any hints?

Last edited:

FAQ: Firefighter Problem: Solving for Angle & Horizontal Reach

1. What is the "Firefighter Problem"?

The "Firefighter Problem" is a mathematical problem that involves finding the optimal angle and horizontal reach of a ladder for a firefighter to safely rescue someone from a building.

2. Why is solving for angle and horizontal reach important for firefighters?

Solving for angle and horizontal reach is important for firefighters because it helps them determine the safest and most efficient way to rescue individuals from buildings. It also ensures that they have the necessary equipment and training to carry out their job effectively.

3. What factors are involved in solving the "Firefighter Problem"?

The factors involved in solving the "Firefighter Problem" include the height of the building, the distance from the building to the nearest point of access, the weight limit of the ladder, and the angle and horizontal reach needed to reach the desired location.

4. Are there any mathematical equations or formulas used to solve the "Firefighter Problem"?

Yes, there are several mathematical equations and formulas used to solve the "Firefighter Problem", including the Pythagorean theorem, trigonometric functions, and vector addition. These equations help determine the optimal angle and horizontal reach for the ladder.

5. How can the "Firefighter Problem" be applied in real-life situations?

The "Firefighter Problem" can be applied in real-life situations by firefighters to rescue individuals from buildings, but it can also be used in other scenarios such as construction or maintenance work where ladders are used. It can also be used in educational settings to teach students about mathematical problem-solving and practical applications of math in everyday life.