Firing a spherical bullet into a watertank

In summary, the discussion involves a problem with non-constant acceleration and finding the distance a spherical bullet will travel when fired horizontally into a watertank. The retarding force provided by the spherical bullet is represented by F = -k \cdot v, which leads to a non-constant acceleration of a = \frac{F}{m} = - {\frac{k v}{m}} according to Newton's 2nd law. The speaker suggests integrating two times over a(t) to find an expression for x(t), but notes the difficulty of dealing with the recursive nature of the equation. The differential equation to solve is m \ddot{x} - k \dot{x} = 0, and solutions can be found using straightforward methods
TheMan112
I've got a problem, involving non-constant acceleration:

If we fire a spherical bullet horizontally into a watertank, how far will the bullet traverse?

I've figured as much that a spherical bullet provides a retarding force:

[tex]F = -k \cdot v[/tex] where k is a constant.

This should provide the following non-constant acceleration due to Newtons 2nd law.

[tex]a = \frac{F}{m} = - {\frac{k v}{m}}[/tex]

I'm thinking I should integrate two times over a(t) to get an expression for x(t), but since "a" is proportional to v(t) and not directly to t, I don't know how to do it without getting a recursive expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
The differential equation to solve is:

[tex]m \ddot{x} - k \dot{x} = 0[/tex]

And solutions are fairly straightforward to find.

you already posted this in HW-section.

Yes, my apologies. I started this thread before I noticed one should ask such questions i the HW-section. I'm going to post my reply to Andy there, you may remove this thread.

TheMan112 said:
Yes, my apologies. I started this thread before I noticed one should ask such questions i the HW-section. I'm going to post my reply to Andy there, you may remove this thread.

It's ok, threads are often moved to the correct place after awhile. Just wanted to draw your attention to this :-)

Related to Firing a spherical bullet into a watertank

Q: What happens when a spherical bullet is fired into a watertank?

A: When a spherical bullet is fired into a watertank, it will create a hole in the tank and the water will begin to leak out.

Q: How does the speed of the bullet affect its impact on the watertank?

A: The speed of the bullet will affect its impact on the watertank. A faster bullet will create a larger hole and cause more water to leak out compared to a slower bullet.

Q: Will the shape of the bullet make a difference in the amount of damage it causes to the watertank?

A: Yes, the shape of the bullet will make a difference in the amount of damage it causes to the watertank. A spherical bullet will create a smaller, more concentrated hole compared to a bullet with a different shape.

Q: How does the distance between the bullet and the watertank affect the impact?

A: The distance between the bullet and the watertank will affect the impact. The closer the bullet is to the tank, the more force it will exert on the tank and create a larger hole.

Q: What happens to the water inside the tank after the bullet is fired?

A: After the bullet is fired, the water inside the tank will start to leak out through the hole created by the bullet. Depending on the size of the hole and the amount of water in the tank, the water may completely drain out or just decrease in volume.