Firing a spherical bullet into a watertank

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of firing a spherical bullet into a watertank and determining how far it will traverse. The equation for non-constant acceleration is presented and options for solving it are discussed, including using separable variables and solving for v(x). Ultimately, the correct solution is found to be v0 e^(-kt/m) which can be used to find the distance traveled by the bullet.
TheMan112
[SOLVED] Firing a spherical bullet into a watertank

I've got a problem, involving non-constant acceleration:

If we fire a spherical bullet horizontally into a watertank, how far will the bullet traverse?

I've figured as much that a spherical bullet provides a retarding force:

[tex]F = -k \cdot v[/tex] where k is a constant.

This should provide the following non-constant acceleration due to Newtons 2nd law.

[tex]a = \frac{F}{m} = - {\frac{k v}{m}}[/tex]

I'm thinking I should integrate two times over a(t) to get an expression for x(t), but since "a" is proportional to v(t) and not directly to t, I don't know how to do it without getting a recursive expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
Horizontally ?

Or perpendicular to a smooth water surface?

TheMan112 said:
I'm thinking I should integrate two times over a(t) to get an expression for x(t), but since "a" is proportional to v(t) and not directly to t, I don't know how to do it without getting a recursive expression.

Hi TheMan112! :smile:

Hint: a = dv/dt. :smile:

You have an equation with separable variables (the form f(y)dy=g(x)dx). This can be solved by integrating both sides: left from y1 to y2, right from x1 to x2.
Another option is solving for v(x):

dv/dx=dv/dt*dt/dx=(dv/dt)/v

After you get v(x) you can get corresponding t from dt=dx/v.

But I don't think that bullets experience linear drag. At high speeds F=-kv^2 is probably a better apoximation.

Last edited:
Alfi said:
Horizontally ?

Or perpendicular to a smooth water surface?

Imagine we mounted the muzzle of a gun to a hole in the side of the watertank, fireing into the water horizontally.

tiny-tim said:

Hint: a = dv/dt. :smile:

Haha, I know that, and from the following differential equation...

[tex]m\ddot{x}-k\dot{x}=0[/tex]

...I get:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = e^{\frac{m}{k} t}[/tex]

Which in turn gives:

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{\infty} v(t) dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{\frac{m}{k} t} dt = -\frac{m}{k}[/tex]

Which gives an answer wrong by a factor of 10^3.

TheMan112 said:
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = e^{\frac{m}{k} t}[/tex]

Which in turn gives:

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{\infty} v(t) dt = \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{\frac{m}{k} t} dt = -\frac{m}{k}[/tex]

Somehow you've managed to get a nearly right answer with the wrong reasoning. :rolleyes:

It should be:

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = v_0 e^{\frac{-k}{m} t}[/tex]

Which in turn gives:

[tex]s = \int_{0}^{\infty} v(t) dt = v_0 \int_{0}^{\infty} e^{\frac{-k}{m} t} dt\,=\,...\,?[/tex] :smile:

Seems like that did it, thanks!

Related to Firing a spherical bullet into a watertank

1. How does firing a spherical bullet into a watertank affect the water inside?

When a spherical bullet is fired into a watertank, it creates a high-pressure shock wave that can cause the water to move and splash around violently. This can also result in the water being compressed and heated up.

2. What factors can influence the impact of firing a spherical bullet into a watertank?

The impact of firing a spherical bullet into a watertank can be influenced by various factors such as the velocity and mass of the bullet, the depth of the water, and the material of the watertank.

3. Can firing a spherical bullet into a watertank cause damage to the tank?

Yes, depending on the velocity and mass of the bullet, firing a spherical bullet into a watertank can cause damage to the tank. The shock wave created by the bullet can cause cracks or even rupture the tank if the impact is strong enough.

4. How does firing a spherical bullet into a watertank affect the bullet itself?

When a spherical bullet is fired into a watertank, it experiences a change in velocity and direction due to the resistance of the water. This can cause the bullet to deform or break apart, altering its trajectory and potentially reducing its effectiveness.

5. Is there any safety risk involved when firing a spherical bullet into a watertank?

Yes, firing a spherical bullet into a watertank can be dangerous if proper precautions are not taken. The high-pressure shock wave and potential tank damage can cause injury to anyone nearby. It is important to follow safety protocols and wear appropriate protective gear when conducting such experiments.