First broadcast TV satellite's orbit

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbit
In summary, the first satellite TV transmission used an oblong orbit that allowed it to be within transmission range for only 20 minutes every 24 hours.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I noticed on Modern Marvels that they mentioned sometihng about hte first satellite put up for broadcast TV transmission. I think. They mentioned it had an oblong orbit that allowed it to be within tranmission range for only 20 minutes every 24 hours. Why was this? Was there limitations back in the day that prevented geosynchronous orbits?

Maybe this belongs in the engineering area... but that place scares me.

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Signal strength and launch technology. Telstar I and II were tiny and had very limited receiving and transmission power. The ground antennas were huge. A newspaper ad from the time:

96879628_a95cb1b8ef.jpg

Larger version: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/39/96879628_a95cb1b8ef_o.jpg

The ground antenna horn is shown in the lower left. That little spec near the rim of the horn is a man. This thing was huge! It had to slew at 1.5 degrees per second and maintain a pointing accuracy of 0.06 degree, per the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telstar" .

Last edited by a moderator:
The US ground station was located only a few hours from my HS, so we took a fiend trip to see it. Massive horn antenna!

It was probably 20mins every orbit (2 1/2 hours).
I think using MEO was more a funtion of transmitter power than rocket technology. Geo-stationary orbit is 20,000 miles so you would need 400x the signal strength of a 1000mi orbit. Telstar was very low power and needed huge radio dishes already.

mgb_phys said:
It was probably 20mins every orbit (2 1/2 hours).
I think using MEO was more a funtion of transmitter power than rocket technology. Geo-stationary orbit is 20,000 miles so you would need 400x the signal strength of a 1000mi orbit. Telstar was very low power and needed huge radio dishes already.

Ah yah, I wasn't paying much attention, 2.5 hours sounds similar to 24 hours! Well that makes sense, I didn't think of that.

Related to First broadcast TV satellite's orbit

1. What was the first broadcast TV satellite's orbit?

The first broadcast TV satellite, called Telstar 1, was placed in a geostationary orbit at an altitude of about 22,300 miles above the Earth's equator.

2. When was the first broadcast TV satellite launched?

Telstar 1 was launched on July 10, 1962 from Cape Canaveral, Florida.

3. How did the first broadcast TV satellite work?

Telstar 1 used radio signals to transmit television, telephone, and data signals between the United States and Europe. It had solar panels that provided power and a set of antennas that could receive and transmit signals.

4. What was the significance of the first broadcast TV satellite's orbit?

The geostationary orbit of Telstar 1 allowed it to remain in a fixed position above the Earth, making it ideal for communication purposes. It also paved the way for future satellite technology and revolutionized global telecommunications.

5. How long did the first broadcast TV satellite remain in orbit?

Telstar 1 remained in orbit for only seven months before its transmitters failed due to radiation damage. However, it was still considered a major success and inspired further developments in satellite technology.