First HW - Two firecrackers explode at the same place in the lab

• Thread starter crazyapeguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of special relativity and the comparison of measurements made by observers in different frames of reference. The specific scenario involves two explosions in a lab, separated by 3 years on a lab clock, and questions about the spatial distance between the events and the relative speed of the rocket and lab frames. The equations t` = γ (τ - βx) and x` = γ (x - βτ) are mentioned as potentially relevant. The responder suggests that a solid understanding of Newtonian mechanics is necessary for understanding special relativity and recommends reviewing notes, coursework, and textbooks. They also ask the question of why the rocket observer measures the explosions at a different time than the lab observer and if the explosions are
crazyapeguy

Homework Statement

1. Two firecrackers explode at the same place in the laboratory and are separated by a time of 3 years as measured on a lab clock.

(a) What is the spatial distance between these two events in a rocket in which the events are separated in time by 5 years as measured on rocket clocks?

(b) What is the relative speed of the rocket and the lab frames?

Homework Equations

? - I am not exactly sure, but, I believe one relevant equation is:
t` = γ (τ - βx)
x` = γ (x - βτ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Trying to find x:

t`/γ = τ - βx

βx = -t`/γ + τ

x = -t`/γ + τ

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
It looks like you have been doing a course in special relativity. You should not be doing that course without a solid grounding in Newtonian mechanics.

If you really know so little, then I'd have to give you all that material again - which would take too long and be expensive. Do you have notes and coursework? A textbook? Perhaps you should review those? You can also peruse the various courses online.

What we can do here is help you with the details.

i.e. special relativity is all about comparing measurements made by different observers who are moving relative to each other.

in the above case - do you know why the observer in the rocket times the explosions at 5y apart when an observer in the lab times 3y only?

The explosions are in the same place in the lab - are they at the same place for the rocket observer?

FAQ: First HW - Two firecrackers explode at the same place in the lab

1. How did you ensure the safety of the lab when conducting this experiment?

Before conducting the experiment, we made sure that all necessary safety precautions were followed. This included wearing protective gear such as goggles and lab coats, keeping a safe distance from the explosion site, and having a fire extinguisher nearby.

2. What were the materials used in this experiment?

The materials used in this experiment were two firecrackers, a detonator, and a safe explosion site. We also used a timer to ensure that both firecrackers exploded simultaneously.

3. What was the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment was to observe the effects of simultaneous explosions on the same spot. This can help us understand the concept of energy transfer and the impact of multiple explosions in a confined space.

4. Were any variables controlled during this experiment?

Yes, we controlled the timing of the explosions and the location of the explosion site. This ensured that the only variable being tested was the simultaneous explosions of the firecrackers at the same spot.

5. What were the results of this experiment?

The results showed that the simultaneous explosions of the firecrackers at the same spot created a larger and more powerful explosion compared to a single firecracker exploding. This demonstrates the concept of energy transfer and the impact of multiple explosions in a confined space.

Back