First Law of Thermodynamics

Mineral
Homework Statement
An audience of 1800 fills a concert hall of volume 2.2×10^4 m^3. If there were no ventilation, by how much would the temperature of the air rise over a period of 2.0 h due to the metabolism of the people (70 W/person)? Assume the room is initially at 293 K.
Relevant Equations
Δt=Q/(cm)
m=pV
E = Q (J) = power (W) * time (sec)
My approach to the problem was to try using Q = cmΔt by rearranging it to solve for Δt=Q/cm.

Since the power per person is 70 W, there are 1800 people in the concert hall, and the problem asks for the temperature rise over two hours, I multiplied 70 W×1800 people × (3600 sec × 2) which gave me Q=907,200,000 J.

I used c=1006 J/kg * ℃ as the heat capacity for the air and 1.225 kg/m^3 for the density to find the mass m = 1.225 kg/m^3 × (2.2×10^4) m^3 = 26950 kg.

I plugged this information into the formula ∆t = Q/cm = (907,200,000 J) / (1006 J/kg * ℃ × 26950 kg) =33 ℃.

However, I’m aware this is wrong since I tried putting it into MyLab and it told me it was incorrect. I tried going over the problem several times, but I can’t find my error, the only thing I could think of is that maybe I used the wrong values for heat capacity or density of the air.

Physics news on Phys.org
Check units. You started with K and ended up with C. Or did you compensate for that and I missed it?

Is that 70W per person over 2 hours?

DaveC426913 said:
Check units. You started with K and ended up with C. Or did you compensate for that and I missed it?
I figured it was fine to convert from K to C at the very end since the value of the change in temperature would be the same in either unit.

Mineral said:
I figured it was fine to convert from K to C at the very end since the value of the change in temperature would be the same in either unit.
Thats what I thought. Just checking.

What about the wattage? You multiplied 70 watts by 7200 seconds to get joules? OK. Just thinkin out loud here

DaveC426913 said:
Thats what I thought. Just checking.

What about the wattage? You multiplied 70 watts by 7200 seconds?
Yes, since each person gave off 70 watts, to calculate the heat given off over two hours I multiplied 70 by the number of people (1800) and multiplied that times 7,200 seconds, which gave me 907,200,000 J.

OK, how do you know it's wrong? Obvs because you put it into MatLab, but how do you know you gave it the correct params for it to give you the correct answer?

(I mean, yeah. A sanity check looking at a 33C rise in temperature - that's a pretty good indication that your answer is indeed wrong, but still...)

Back