First ODE (dc/dt the rate of change of chemical in a pond)

In summary, the problem involves a pond with 1,000,000 gallons of water and 10,000g of chemical evenly dissolved in it. Fresh water pours in and is released at a rate of 300 gallons/hour, resulting in no change in the total amount of water in the pond. The task is to set up a differential equation for the rate of change of the chemical in the pond, which can be done using the formula dC/dt = (C/1,000,000)*300.
hangainlover
lets say there is a pond of 1,000,000 gallons of water.
and the total of 10,000g of chemical is evenly dissolved in the water
Fresh water starts pouring into the pond at the rate of 300 gallons/hour and the pond also releases water at the rate of 300 gallons/hour (hence no change in total amount in the pond).
Can you set up a differential equation describing the rate of change of the chemical in the pond. (dc/dt)
(I know that dC/dt = (the total amount of the chemical in the pond at a given time / 1,000,000 gallons of waer)*300 gallons/3600seconds) but i can't define the total amount of chemcial left in the pond at a given time, as the total amount doesn't change linearly or by a pattern i can see )

Physics news on Phys.org
hangainlover said:
lets say there is a pond of 1,000,000 gallons of water.
and the total of 10,000g of chemical is evenly dissolved in the water
Fresh water starts pouring into the pond at the rate of 300 gallons/hour and the pond also releases water at the rate of 300 gallons/hour (hence no change in total amount in the pond).
Can you set up a differential equation describing the rate of change of the chemical in the pond. (dc/dt)
(I know that dC/dt = (the total amount of the chemical in the pond at a given time / 1,000,000 gallons of waer)*300 gallons/3600seconds) but i can't define the total amount of chemcial left in the pond at a given time, as the total amount doesn't change linearly or by a pattern i can see )

But you have pretty much already defined it. "The total amount of chemical in the pond at a given time" is C, or if you prefer C(t).

Also, since the problem statement uses hours as the unit of time, you might as well keep time in terms of hours rather than converting to seconds.

omg I am so stupid how did i miss that
thanks

No problem! :smile:

Related to First ODE (dc/dt the rate of change of chemical in a pond)

1. What is a First Order Differential Equation?

A First Order Differential Equation (ODE) is a type of mathematical equation that describes the rate of change of a variable with respect to time. In the context of a pond, the variable could be the concentration of a chemical and the rate of change would be the change in concentration over time.

2. How is a First Order Differential Equation used in the study of pond chemistry?

In the study of pond chemistry, a First Order Differential Equation can be used to model the rate of change of a chemical in the pond over time. This can help scientists understand how the concentration of the chemical changes over time and how it may be affected by external factors such as temperature or pH.

3. What are the key components of a First Order Differential Equation?

The key components of a First Order Differential Equation are the dependent variable, the independent variable, and the rate of change. In the context of pond chemistry, the dependent variable would be the concentration of the chemical, the independent variable would be time, and the rate of change would be the change in concentration over time.

4. How can a First Order Differential Equation be solved?

A First Order Differential Equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables or integrating factors. However, in the context of pond chemistry, it may be more practical to use numerical methods or computer simulations to solve the equation.

5. What are some real-world applications of First Order Differential Equations in pond chemistry?

First Order Differential Equations have many real-world applications in pond chemistry, such as predicting the growth of algae or bacteria in a pond, studying the effects of pollutants on aquatic life, and determining the rate of diffusion of a chemical in the water. By using First Order Differential Equations, scientists can gain a better understanding of the complex dynamics of pond chemistry and make informed decisions for the management and conservation of ponds.