First order system ODE, complex root

In summary, for first order systems of ODEs with complex roots, the solution will contain both exponential and oscillatory components, represented by u(t) and v(t) respectively. The imaginary part of the eigenvalue determines the oscillatory behavior.
kougou
Hi.

For first order system ODE, complex root.
y'=Ay, where A is a 2by2 matrix. I am assuming the roots are complex. After finding the eigenvalue (complex conjugate) and their eigen-vectors (which come in a form of complex conjugate again), we plug into the solution y=ζexp(λt), where λ is egenvalue and ζ is its corresponding eigenvector. And Since λ is complex, we apply euler's formula.And at the end, we get to the part
y= u(t) + i*v(t).

I don't understand why both u(t) and v(t) are solution to the system. u(t) is clear. But v(t) is not. what happen to its imaginary number?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The imaginary number in v(t) is taken care of by the imaginary part of the eigenvalue λ. The solution to the system is a combination of both u(t) and v(t). The real part of the eigenvalue λ determines the exponential growth or decay behavior, while the imaginary part determines the oscillatory behavior. Therefore, when the eigenvalue is complex, the solution will contain both exponential and oscillatory components, which is why both u(t) and v(t) are solutions to the system.

FAQ: First order system ODE, complex root

1. What is a first order system ODE?

A first order system ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes how a dependent variable changes over time. It involves only one independent variable and its first derivative.

2. What are complex roots in a first order system ODE?

Complex roots in a first order system ODE refer to the solutions of the equation that involve imaginary numbers. These solutions can be expressed in the form of a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

3. How are complex roots related to the behavior of a first order system ODE?

The complex roots of a first order system ODE can determine the stability and oscillatory behavior of the system. If the real parts of the complex roots are negative, the system will be stable. If the real parts are positive, the system will be unstable. Imaginary parts of the complex roots can indicate oscillatory behavior.

4. How do you solve a first order system ODE with complex roots?

To solve a first order system ODE with complex roots, you can use the complex conjugate method. This involves finding the complex conjugate of the complex root and using it to simplify the equation. Then, you can solve for the real solutions using standard techniques.

5. Can a first order system ODE have multiple complex roots?

Yes, a first order system ODE can have multiple complex roots. This means that the solution to the equation will involve multiple complex numbers. The behavior of the system will depend on the values of the real and imaginary parts of these complex roots.

Back