Fishfood12m's question at Yahoo Answers regarding special integrating factors

In summary: So, in summary, to find the integrating factor for a non-exact differential equation, we first check if it is not exact. If it is not, we calculate the expression $\displaystyle \frac{\frac{\delta}{\delta y}(y)-\frac{\delta}{\delta x}(2xy-e^{-2y})}{2xy-e^{-2y}}$ and if it depends only on $x$, we can easily compute the integrating factor. Then, we multiply the equation by the integrating factor and solve for the exact equation. If we are asked to only find the integrating factor, we can stop after computing it. However, if we are asked to solve the equation, we can use the integrating factor to make the equation
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Integrating Factor Help Please!?

I am preparing for a test and need to be able to find the integrating factor of problems similar to:

ydx + (2xy-e^(-2y))dy=0

All I want is how to find the integrating factor. From what I learned u'=U*(My - Nx) / N

That doesn't seem to work for me. Perhaps you can explain how to find it with step-by-step detail.

Thanks!

Here is a link to the question:

Integrating Factor Help Please!? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello fishfood12m,

We are given to solve:

$\displaystyle y\,dx + (2xy-e^{-2y})\,dy=0$

We should first verify that it is not exact:

$\displaystyle \frac{\delta}{\delta y}(y)=1$

$\displaystyle \frac{\delta}{\delta x}(2xy-e^{-2y})=2y$

Since the two partials are not equal, the equation is not exact.

Next, we look at the expression:

$\displaystyle \frac{\frac{\delta}{\delta y}(y)-\frac{\delta}{\delta x}(2xy-e^{-2y})}{2xy-e^{-2y}}=\frac{1-2y}{2xy-e^{-2y}}$

Since this does not depend on $x$ alone, we next look at:

$\displaystyle \frac{\frac{\delta}{\delta x}(2xy-e^{-2y})-\frac{\delta}{\delta y}(y)}{y}=\frac{2y-1}{y}=2-\frac{1}{y}$

Since this depends only on $y$, we compute the integrating factor as follows:

$\displaystyle \mu(y)=e^{\int2-\frac{1}{y}\,dy}=e^{2y-\ln|y|}=\frac{e^{2y}}{y}$

We now multiply the ODE by $\mu(y)$ observing we are losing the trivial solution $y\equiv0$:

$\displaystyle \frac{e^{2y}}{y}\cdot y\,dx + \frac{e^{2y}}{y}(2xy-e^{-2y})\,dy=0$

$\displaystyle e^{2y}\,dx + \left(2xe^{2y}-\frac{1}{y} \right)\,dy=0$

We can now easily see that the equation is exact. Even though you asked only for the integrating factor, I will go ahead and solve the equation.

Since our equation is exact, we may state:

$\displaystyle \frac{\delta F}{\delta x}=e^{2y}$

Integrating with respect to $x$ we get:

$\displaystyle F(x,y)=\int e^{2y}\,dx+g(y)=xe^{2y}+g(y)$

Now, to determine $g(y)$, we will take the partial derivative with respect to $y$ of both sides of the above equation and substitute $\displaystyle 2xe^{2y}-\frac{1}{y}$ for $\displaystyle \frac{\delta F}{\delta y}$:

$\displaystyle 2xe^{2y}-\frac{1}{y}=2xe^{2y}+g'(y)$

$\displaystyle -\frac{1}{y}=g'(y)$

Hence, integrating, and choosing the constant of integration to be zero, we find:

$\displaystyle g(y)=-\ln|y|$

And so we have:

$\displaystyle F(x,y)=xe^{2y}-\ln|y|$

Thus, the solution to the ODE is given implicitly by:

$\displaystyle C=xe^{2y}-\ln|y|$

Another way (without using integrating factor): we can write the equation in the form $\dfrac{dx}{dy}+2x=\dfrac{e^{-2y}}{y}$ which is linear on the dependent variable $x=x(y)$. Now, and using a well-known theorem, the general solution of the equation $x'+p(y)x=q(y)$ is

$xe^{\int pdy}-\displaystyle\int qe^{\int pdy}\;dy=C$
In our case, $p=2,q=\dfrac{e^{-2y}}{y}$ so,
$xe^{2y}-\displaystyle\int \frac{e^{-2y}}{y}\;e^{2y}\;dy=C$

Equivalenly:

$xe^{2y}-\ln |y|=C$

Related to Fishfood12m's question at Yahoo Answers regarding special integrating factors

1. How do special integrating factors work?

Special integrating factors are functions that are used to solve differential equations that are not exact. They help to transform the equation into an exact one, making it easier to solve. The integrating factor is found by multiplying the original equation by a function, which then converts it into an exact differential equation.

2. What types of differential equations require special integrating factors?

Differential equations that are not exact, meaning that their partial derivatives are not equal, require special integrating factors. These include equations with non-linear terms or non-constant coefficients.

3. How do you find the integrating factor for a specific differential equation?

The integrating factor for a specific differential equation can be found by multiplying the original equation by the inverse of the integrating factor. This will result in the equation becoming exact, and the integrating factor can then be solved for using integration techniques.

4. What are the benefits of using special integrating factors?

Special integrating factors make it easier to solve complex differential equations by transforming them into exact ones. This allows for more efficient and accurate solutions, as well as providing a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical principles.

5. Can special integrating factors be used for all types of differential equations?

No, special integrating factors are only applicable to certain types of differential equations that are not exact. They cannot be used for equations that are already exact or for equations that have special solutions, such as separable or homogeneous equations.