Fitting the Potato Yield Model with Superphosphate Fertiliser

In summary, the model fits the data well and estimates for the coefficients of the model are provided.
squenshl

Homework Statement

Suppose (Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4) = (5.2, 6.8, 11.9, 17.0) are the average yields (in tonne/ha) of potato grown in soil with 4 different levels of superphosphate fertiliser, x1 = 1.20, x2 = 1.75, x3 = 2.30, x4 = 2.85. We want to fit the model E[Yi] = [tex]\beta[/tex]1 + [tex]\beta[/tex]2xi + [tex]\beta[/tex]3zi where zi = 3xi2 - 4.4875 for i = 1,...,4.
Suppose that the observations (Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4) are independent with common variance [tex]\sigma[/tex]2
How do I find the design matrix X and hence write the model in the form E(Y) = X[tex]\beta[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found z1, z2, z3, z4 using x1, x2, x3, x4 to get z1 = -0.1675, z2 = 4.70, z3 = 11.3825, z4 = 19.88 so from E(Yi) do I get
X =
(1 1.20 -0.1675
1 1.75 4.70
1 2.30 11.3825
1 2.85 19.88)
hence E(Y) = X[tex]\beta[/tex] where [tex]\beta[/tex] = ([tex]\beta[/tex]i)T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried it again and got the same but I'm not still not sure.

Yes, this seems right if you are doing ordinary least squares.

But what happens to (Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4), do we use those to find the residuals, fitted values and leverages.

To find the residuals you need to find the estimates of [itex] \beta [/itex] first. Then

a) fitted values are [itex] X \hat{\beta} [/itex]

b) residuals are original y - fitted values

c) your text (or your notes) will explain how to get the leverage values (if you use software (such as R or S+, for two examples) you can get these - everything you need, actually - from there

Is that [tex]\beta[/tex] = (XTX)-1XTY. I'm still not sure that my design matrix is right.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that's right.

Yes it is. Because my Hat matrix H is idempotent (H2 = H) and the trace of H = p = 3.

I have found my leverages and fitted values (my fitted values are a 4x4 matrix) but when it comes to finding the residuals r = Y - Y(hat) i get a 4x1 matrix - a 4x4 matrix and that is impossible.

How did you get your fitted values to be 4x4? Your beta hat is a column vector, since Y is a column vector, and then X*beta hat is a column vector.

I think I did my matrix multiplication wrong for beta hat. I get a 3x3 matrix for (XTX)-1 which is
(77.3577 -59.0788 4.7523
-59.0788 45.4737 -3.6883
4.7523 -3.6883 0.3036).
For my XTY i get the matrix
(Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4
1.2Y1 + 1.75Y2 + 2.3Y3 + 2.85Y4
-0.1675Y1 + 4.7Y2 + 11.3825Y3 + 19.88Y4).
How do I get a column matrix from this?

Now multiply (XTX)-1 by XTY to find your beta hat vector. The dimensions should work out.

How do I multiply the 2 matrices. I've never seen that type of matrix multiplication before.
Is it just (77.3577 - 59.0788 + 4.7523)/(Y1 + Y2 + Y3 + Y4) etc.

Last edited:
Never mind. Got it. The fitted values are
(5.023
17.534)
and the residuals follow on from that.

Related to Fitting the Potato Yield Model with Superphosphate Fertiliser

1. What is a potato yield model and how is it used in agriculture?

A potato yield model is a mathematical representation of the relationship between potato yield and various environmental factors, such as soil pH, temperature, and water availability. It is used in agriculture to predict the potential yield of a potato crop and to inform decisions about management practices, such as fertiliser application.

2. What is superphosphate fertiliser and how does it affect potato yield?

Superphosphate fertiliser is a type of fertiliser that is high in phosphorus, an essential nutrient for plant growth. When applied to potato crops, it can increase yield by promoting root development, improving plant health, and increasing tuber size and quality.

3. How is the potato yield model fitted with superphosphate fertiliser?

The potato yield model is fitted with superphosphate fertiliser by incorporating the fertiliser application rate as a variable in the model. This allows for the prediction of yield at different application rates and helps determine the optimal fertiliser rate for maximum potato yield.

4. What factors should be considered when fitting the potato yield model with superphosphate fertiliser?

When fitting the potato yield model with superphosphate fertiliser, factors such as soil type, climate, potato variety, and plant health should be taken into account. These factors can influence the amount of fertiliser needed to achieve optimal yield and should be considered when determining the fertiliser application rate.

5. How accurate is the potato yield model when fitted with superphosphate fertiliser?

The accuracy of the potato yield model when fitted with superphosphate fertiliser can vary depending on the specific conditions of the potato crop. However, when all relevant factors are considered and the model is properly calibrated, it can provide a reliable estimate of potato yield and help farmers make informed decisions about fertiliser use.