Fix Latex Problem Viewing White Figures on Black Background

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter HallsofIvy
  • Start date
In summary, the issue of latex figures appearing as white on a black background is caused by the use of a black background in the document. To fix this, the background color of the document can be changed to a lighter color or a different method for inserting figures can be used. The color of latex figures can also be changed by using the \color{color name} command. This issue only occurs with latex figures because they are saved as PDF files with a transparent background. The background color of latex figures can be changed with the \pagecolor{color name} command.
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
This is embarassing. This happened before and there was an easy fix but I've forgotten it!

I had to reload Windows XP and now all latex comes out white figures on a black background. When this happened before, I was told to download something but I've forgotten what it was. I tried to look up the thread where I asked before but couldn't find it.

Any one have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found it:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=319605

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Doc, that "worked a treat".

FAQ: Fix Latex Problem Viewing White Figures on Black Background

1. Why are my latex figures appearing as white on a black background?

This is likely due to the use of a black background in your document. Latex figures are typically saved as PDF files with a transparent background. When inserted into a document with a black background, the transparent areas will appear as white.

2. How can I fix this issue?

To fix this issue, you can either change the background color of your document to a lighter color, or you can use a different method for inserting figures, such as using the \includegraphics command instead of the \begin{figure} environment.

3. Can I change the color of my latex figures?

Yes, you can change the color of your latex figures by using the \color{color name} command before inserting the figure. This will change the color of the figure and any text or labels within the figure.

4. Why does this only happen with latex figures and not other images?

This issue only occurs with latex figures because they are saved as PDF files, which have a transparent background. Other images, such as JPEG or PNG, have a solid background color, so they will not be affected by the background color of your document.

5. Can I change the background color of my latex figures?

Yes, you can change the background color of your latex figures by using the \pagecolor{color name} command before inserting the figure. This will change the background color of the figure, but not any text or labels within the figure.