Fixed Ended Beam applied to couple moment

In summary: First, solve for Ra using equation 1. Next, solve for Rb using equation 2. Finally, use the two equations to solve for the reactions and moments at x = L/2.
socrates_1

Homework Statement

Hi, i am trying to understand how to find the reactions (Ra & Rb) and moments (Ma & Mb) of the beam shown in the sketch below. Not an exact number but in terms of Mo(couple moment) and L(length).

Homework Equations

I have the answers which are Ra = -Rb = 3Mo /2L
AND Ma = -Mb = Mo/4

The Attempt at a Solution

taking moments about B: Ma - Ra(L) + Mo - Mb = 0
After that i broke the beam into 2 pieces (in the middle of the beam)
took the elastic equation for both sides where:
Mx = Ra(x) - Ma (left side)
Mx =Rb (x) - Mb (right side)
Intergrated both equations twice and found C1 and C2,and set these 2 equations equal for x= L/2 (as the delfection in the middle is 0)

But i can't get this result

Have i done something wrong?

Attachments

• Sketch of beam.png
    Sketch of beam.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 2,080
Physics news on Phys.org
It would probably be easier if you set the deflections and slopes at A and B equal to zero, and solved for the reactions. Is the deflection at x = L/2 equal to zero? Maybe, but the deflections at A and B must be zero, as should the slopes.

SteamKing said:
It would probably be easier if you set the deflections and slopes at A and B equal to zero, and solved for the reactions. Is the deflection at x = L/2 equal to zero? Maybe, but the deflections at A and B must be zero, as should the slopes.

Thank you for your response.I just tried to solve it like this but I couldn't get the result.
Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
any suggestions??

Show your detailed calculation. There may be a mistake in your algebra.

SteamKing said:
Show your detailed calculation. There may be a mistake in your algebra.

For Ra:
φEI= (Ra (x^2 ))/2- Ma (x)+ C1 (eqn 1)

where φ=slope, x=distance, C1 = (Ra (x^3))/6 + Ma (x^2) vEI= (Ra (x^3))/6 - (Ma (x^2))/2 + C1(x) + C2 (eqn 2)

Where v=delfection,x=distance, C1 = (Ra (x^3))/6 + Ma (x^2), C2=0By setting (eqn 1) equal to (eqn 2) I cannot get the result I want because the result for Ra must be in terms of Ra and Mo.
What u think?

Remember, at x = 0, the slope = 0 and the deflection = 0.
At x = L, the slope = 0 and the deflection = 0.

You've got to use these four conditions in order to solve for the unknown reactions and fixed end moments.

Related to Fixed Ended Beam applied to couple moment

What is a fixed ended beam?

A fixed ended beam is a structural element that is supported on two points and has both ends restrained against rotation and translation.

How does a fixed ended beam behave under loading?

Fixed ended beams are able to resist bending and shear forces without any rotation or translation occurring at the supports. They also experience significant moments and shear forces at the fixed ends.

How is a couple moment applied to a fixed ended beam?

A couple moment is applied to a fixed ended beam by applying equal and opposite moments at each of the fixed ends. This creates a twisting effect on the beam, causing it to experience both bending and shear forces.

What are the advantages of using a fixed ended beam in structural design?

Fixed ended beams are able to resist larger bending and shear forces compared to other types of beams, making them suitable for supporting heavy loads. They also provide greater stability and rigidity to a structure.

Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a fixed ended beam?

One limitation of fixed ended beams is that they are not suitable for long span structures, as the fixed supports can create high stress concentrations. They also require more complex and costly construction techniques compared to other types of beams.

Back