Fixing Corrupted y-Label Text in Word

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter hokhani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Text
In summary, when copying a figure from Matlab and pasting it into Word, the y-axis label may become corrupted. To avoid this, one should use the saveas command instead of copying to clipboard. This will save the figure as an external file that can be used for later purposes.
hokhani
I used the label for y-axis as below and plot the figure.
Code:
ylabel('$\frac{|Iup|-|Idown|}{|Iup|+|Idown|}$','interpreter','latex','FontSize',30)
but when I copy the figure in the word, the y-label text is corrupted. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
soarce said:
I think that from Matlab you can't simply "copy" the figure, one has to save the figure specifying explicitly the output format, see http://es.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/saveas.html
When I copy the figure from "Figure/Edit/copy figure" and paste it into word, the figure is correctly pasted but when I restart the computer the text on the y-axis corrupts. However if I open Matlab again and do "Figure/Edit/copy figure and past" all the earlier figures will become corrected!

You should specify the parameters when copying to clipboard, see for instance

http://es.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/print.html#bumf4p_-1

where the clipboardformat parameter takes on the following values:

http://es.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/print.html#inputarg_clipboardformat

The flow that you are follow it's rather strange, one shouldn't restart Matlab in order to see correctly those figures!
I would use the saveas command. In this way you keep a figure file external to the word document for later use (presentation, sharing etc.)

FAQ: Fixing Corrupted y-Label Text in Word

1. What causes y-label text to become corrupted in Word?

There are several potential causes of corrupted y-label text in Word, including incompatible fonts or encoding, incorrect formatting, or a glitch in the software. It can also occur when copying and pasting text from external sources.

2. How can I identify if my y-label text is corrupted?

Oftentimes, corrupted y-label text will appear as jumbled or unreadable characters, or may be missing completely. You may also notice strange spacing or formatting issues within the text.

3. Can I fix corrupted y-label text without losing my original formatting?

Yes, there are several methods for fixing corrupted y-label text in Word without losing your original formatting. One option is to use the "Find and Replace" feature to search for and replace the corrupted text with the correct characters. You can also try copying and pasting the text into a new document or using the "Repair" function in Word.

4. How can I prevent y-label text from becoming corrupted in the future?

To prevent y-label text corruption in Word, it is important to use compatible fonts and encoding, avoid copying and pasting text from external sources, and regularly save your documents to avoid potential software glitches. It may also be helpful to periodically check for updates to your Word software.

5. Can I recover corrupted y-label text in Word?

In some cases, it may be possible to recover corrupted y-label text in Word by using the "Recover Text from Any File" feature. This will strip all formatting and only retrieve the text from the document. However, this method may not always be successful and it is important to regularly save your documents to avoid potential data loss.