Flaw in 3D Vector Definition: Solving for t and x Step by Step

• Thread starter soandos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
In summary: Yes, your solution is correct. To show that two lines are perpendicular, we need to show that their direction vectors are perpendicular. In this case, you found two vectors parallel to the lines (u and P1-P) and showed that their dot product is zero, which means they are perpendicular. Therefore, the lines l and Q1Q are perpendicular.
soandos
where is the flaw in the following:
it is possible to define a 3d vector using the form:
(x,y,z) = (x_1,y_1,z_1)+t(a,b,c)
this can then be parameterized to become

x = x_1 + a*t
y = y_1 + b*t
z = z_1 +c*t

so, for example, given the vector (x,y,z) = (1,2,3) + t(5,6,7)
one can parametrize it to become:

x = 1 + 5t
y = 2 + 6t
z = 3 + 7t

solving the first equation for t gives
t = (x-1)/5

plugging that into the other two equations gives:

y = 2 + 6/5 * (x-1)
z = 3 + 7/5 * (x-1)

solving the second one for x gives:

x = (5*z-8)/7

changing y = 2 + 6/5 * (x-1) to y = 2 + 6/5 * (2x-x-1)
and in the -x spot putting -(5*z-8)/7 yeilds:

y = 2 + 6/5 * (2x-(5*z-8)/7-1)

simplifying gets:
76 = 35 y + 30 z - 84 x

which is the equation of a plane.
this cannot possibly be right as i started out with a 2-d object (the vector)

where did i mess up?
(p.s. i tried to do all of this algebraically but it got too ugly for me)

thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First of all, that is not the equation of a vector, it is a vector equation of a line.

In that equation there exists 2 vectors, the position vector r and direction vector v

so in your example

r = <1,2,3>
v = <5,6,7>

so your line starts at (1,2,3) and points in the direction <5,6,7>

sorry if i used the wrong words. the fact remains that i began with a line/line segment/vector and ended up with an equivalent plane. this is not possible. where is the mistake?

You think you have made a mistake where you haven't (except possibly a conceptual one).

You get the equation of a plane containing the line.

Your calculations are correct. All you have done is introduced extra solutions. What you have essentially proven is that if (x, y, z) = (1, 2, 3) + t(5, 6, 7) for some t, then 76 = 35y + 30z - 84x. It, of course, is not true that if 76 = 35y + 30z - 84x, then (x, y, z) = (1, 2, 3) + t(5, 6, 7) for some t, but you haven't proven this (which is good, since it's false).

I imagine with some slight variations, you will find an equation for a different plane. However, it will still be a plane containing the original line; the two planes you found would intersect at this line.

There are only 3 forms of a line in 3d. The vector, parametric and symmetric forms.

Taking your example gives:

vector form: [tex]\vec{r}=<1,2,3> + t<5,6,7>[/tex]

symmetric form: [tex]\frac{x-1}{5}=\frac{y-2}{6}=\frac{z-3}{7}[/tex]

parametric form: [tex]x = 1+5t[/tex] , [tex]y = 2+6t[/tex] , [tex]z = 3+7t[/tex]

Of course you can figure out how the line behaves in each plane (which I presume you are searching for) by solving the symmetric form gives you the trivial equation [tex]y=mx+c[/tex] on a particular plane. For example [tex]z=my+c[/tex] (zy plane) or [tex]z=mx+c[/tex] (zx plane) etc...

Edit I left out the 2 point form which looks like: [tex]\frac{x-x_{1}}{x_{2}-x_{1}}=\frac{y-y_{1}}{y_{2}-y_{1}}=\frac{z-z_{1}}{z_{2}-z_{1}}[/tex] so there are 4 (viewed at http://www.cs.fit.edu/~wds/classes/cse5255/thesis/lineEqn/lineEqn#2ptEqn)

Last edited by a moderator:
let me try to explain:
i got three parametric equations.
i simplified them into one equation
i got the equation of a plane.
therefore, i know something went wrong.
read the PDF to see exactly what i did.

Attachments

• 2d-3d.pdf
    59.5 KB · Views: 255
Read my post. Then read it again.

soandos said:
let me try to explain:
i got three parametric equations.
i simplified them into one equation
i got the equation of a plane.
therefore, i know something went wrong.
read the PDF to see exactly what i did.

adriank is correct. All you have shown is a plane that the line lies upon. There are infinitely many.

that is not the case, as i have locked it down to one plane. what happened to all of the others?

soandos said:
that is not the case, as i have locked it down to one plane. what happened to all of the others?

I will answer you question with another, how many equations did you solve for t? I see 3 different solutions for t

Also, how many lines of the same slope and direction lie upon a single plane ?

... and by the way if you want to visualize your vectors in 3D you could use this program http://www.bodurov.com/VectorVisualizer/"

Last edited by a moderator:
In response to djeitnstine, i only solved one.
doe that mean anything?

show that the line containing the points (0,0,5) and (1,-1,4) is perpendicular to the line with equations:

x/7=y-3/4=z+9/3

i need help with this question..

Find vectors parallel to each line, and show that their dot product is zero.

thank you adriank:)
so;

x/7=y-3/4=z+9/3=t

solving the first equation for t gives;

x/7=t so x=7t

and other two:

y-3/4=t so y=4t+3.
z+9/3=t so z=3t-9.

u=(7,4,3) and P= (0,3,-9) is on l.
u is parallel to l.

then we find another point on l.
x=2 so y=29/7 and z= -57/7.

P1(2,29/7,-57/7)

as we have Q (0,0,5) and Q1 (1,-1,4) ; Q1-Q= (1,-1,-1).

P(0,0,-9) and P1( 2,29/7,-57/7) ; P1-P= (2,8/7,6/7)

P1P*Q1Q=2-8/7-6/7=0 so we can say Q1Q is perpendiclar to l.

is it true? could you pls explain? I'm not sure..

FAQ: Flaw in 3D Vector Definition: Solving for t and x Step by Step

1. What is a 3D vector?

A 3D vector is a mathematical representation of a point or direction in three-dimensional space, using three coordinates (x, y, z) to describe its position and magnitude.

2. How is a 3D vector different from a regular vector?

A 3D vector is different from a regular vector in that it exists in three-dimensional space, whereas a regular vector exists in two-dimensional space. This means that a 3D vector has an additional coordinate (z) to describe its position and direction.

3. What are some common uses for 3D vectors?

3D vectors are commonly used in computer graphics, video game development, and animation to represent the position and movement of objects in three-dimensional space. They are also used in physics and engineering to model forces and motion in three dimensions.

4. How are 3D vectors calculated?

3D vectors can be calculated using various mathematical operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. They can also be calculated using the dot product and cross product, which are used to determine the angle between two vectors and the direction of their resulting vector, respectively.

5. Can 3D vectors be visualized?

Yes, 3D vectors can be visualized using a coordinate system, where each coordinate represents a dimension in three-dimensional space. They can also be represented graphically using arrows to show their direction and magnitude.