[FlexPDE] Not sure if displacement equations are right

• Thread starter unscientific
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Displacement
In summary, the conversation discusses using FlexPDE to find resonant frequencies for a torsional oscillator, but the results do not match the analytic solution. The conversation also mentions using a Finite Element Method and provides some equations and variables for reference. Possible issues to consider include checking boundary conditions, initial conditions, material parameters, and mesh refinement.
unscientific
Hi guys, I'm recently using FlexPDE to find the resonant frequencies of a torsional oscillator, but it does not match the analytic solution. It uses a Finite Element Method to find solutions.

Is there something wrong with the equations I'm using?

simple_oscillator2.png

C11 = G*(1-nu)
C12 = G*nu
C13 = G*nu
C22 = G*(1-nu)
C23 = G*nu
C33 = G*(1-nu)
C44 = G*(1-2*nu)/2

Strains

ex = dx(U)
ey = dy(V)
ez = dz(W)
gxy = dy(U) + dx(V)
gyz = dz(V) + dy(W)
gzx = dx(W) + dz(U)

VARIABLES

U { X displacement }
V { Y displacement }
W { Z displacement }

Stresses

Sx = C11*ex + C12*ey + C13*ez
Sy = C12*ex + C22*ey + C23*ez
Sz = C13*ex + C23*ey + C33*ez
Txy = C44*gxy
Tyz = C44*gyz
Tzx = C44*gzx

EQUATIONS

U: dx(Sx) + dy(Txy) + dz(Tzx) + lambda*rho*U = 0 { the U-displacement equation }
V: dx(Txy) + dy(Sy) + dz(Tyz) + lambda*rho*V = 0 { the V-displacement equation }
W: dx(Tzx) + dy(Tyz) + dz(Sz) + lambda*rho*W = 0 { the W-displacement equation }

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to determine what might be wrong without seeing the entire model and the equations you are using. It may help to check that you are using the correct boundary conditions and initial conditions, as well as making sure that the values you are using for the material parameters are correct. Additionally, it could be useful to ensure that the mesh you are using is sufficiently refined to properly capture the resonant frequencies.

FAQ: [FlexPDE] Not sure if displacement equations are right

1. What is the purpose of using displacement equations in FlexPDE?

The purpose of using displacement equations in FlexPDE is to determine the displacement of a structure or material under various conditions. This information is crucial for understanding the behavior and performance of the material or structure in real-world applications.

2. How do I know if my displacement equations are correct in FlexPDE?

To ensure the accuracy of your displacement equations in FlexPDE, it is important to first check that the equations are based on fundamental principles and are appropriate for the problem at hand. Additionally, you can compare your results with experimental data or use a verification tool within the software to check for errors.

3. Can I modify displacement equations in FlexPDE to fit my specific problem?

Yes, FlexPDE allows users to customize their displacement equations to fit their specific problem or material. This can be done through the software's user-friendly interface or by adding custom code to the equations.

4. What are the most common errors when writing displacement equations in FlexPDE?

Some common errors when writing displacement equations in FlexPDE include incorrect boundary conditions, using incorrect units, and not accounting for all relevant factors in the problem. It is important to carefully review the equations and run simulations to ensure they are producing the expected results.

5. Can I use FlexPDE to solve complex displacement equations?

Yes, FlexPDE is designed to handle complex displacement equations and can handle a wide range of material properties, boundary conditions, and geometries. However, it is important to carefully review the results and make sure the equations accurately represent the problem being studied.