Flexural Wave Propagation speed

In summary, the conversation is about the formula or equation to find the flexural wave propagation speed along a beam. The person asking the question is a master's student in engineering and has learned about transverse waves, longitudinal waves, and shear waves. They are seeking guidance on which equations to use for their problem.
billu
Hello Everyone,

my question is that what's the formula or equation to find flexural wave propagation speed along the beam??

Please guide with this, I am kind of stuck in this problem.

Thanks in advance,waiting for the response...

Engineering news on Phys.org
billu said:
Hello Everyone,

my question is that what's the formula or equation to find flexural wave propagation speed along the beam??

Please guide with this, I am kind of stuck in this problem.

Thanks in advance,waiting for the response...
I'd mentioned in your introduction thread that you should post links to what you have been reading, so we can judge how best to help you. What level are you in school right now? Are you in university studying Mechanical Engineering?

Are you asking about longitudinal or transverse mechanical waves in the beam?

berkeman said:
I'd mentioned in your introduction thread that you should post links to what you have been reading, so we can judge how best to help you. What level are you in school right now? Are you in university studying Mechanical Engineering?

I am masters student in hanyang UNiversity South Korea. Doing engineering,yEa.

berkeman said:
And what equations have you learned so far for such waves in solids?

I have learned about tranverse waves, longitudinal waves, shear waves.

billu said:
I have learned about tranverse waves, longitudinal waves, shear waves.
Good. :smile: Can you then post some of the equations that you asked about in your first post above?

Related to Flexural Wave Propagation speed

1. What is flexural wave propagation speed?

Flexural wave propagation speed is the speed at which a wave travels through a material that is undergoing bending or flexural deformation. It is a characteristic property of the material and is dependent on factors such as density, stiffness, and geometry.

2. How is flexural wave propagation speed measured?

Flexural wave propagation speed can be measured through a variety of methods, such as ultrasonic testing, laser interferometry, or impact testing. These techniques involve sending a wave through the material and measuring the time it takes to travel a known distance, which can then be used to calculate the propagation speed.

3. What factors affect flexural wave propagation speed?

The most significant factors that affect flexural wave propagation speed are the material's density, stiffness, and geometry. Other factors that can influence the speed include temperature, moisture content, and the presence of defects or cracks in the material.

4. How does flexural wave propagation speed differ from other types of wave propagation?

Flexural wave propagation speed differs from other types of wave propagation, such as longitudinal or transverse waves, in that it is specific to bending or flexural deformation. This means that the wave travels differently through the material and can reveal different information about its properties.

5. Why is understanding flexural wave propagation speed important?

Understanding flexural wave propagation speed is important for a variety of applications in engineering and material science. It can provide valuable information about a material's properties, such as its stiffness, strength, and potential for failure. It is also used in non-destructive testing techniques to detect defects or damage in structures or components.