Floating Granite Sphere Fountain

In summary, Snadeep wants to calculate the water pump required for lifting a 1.5m dia. granite ball on a 3mm water sheet. He has a background in estimation and design engineering and is working for a water fountain company. He is asking for design advice on the Internet, and believes this is the solution for most if not all spherical water features.
Sandeep Chauhan
Dear All,

I want to calculate water pump required for lifting the 1.5m dia. Granite ball on 3mm water sheet.
kindly help ma as the earliest.
Thanks
Snadeep

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for your reply, but this I'am already having but not getting how to calculate. kindly post something in easy method if you have thanks

Sandeep Chauhan said:
Dear All,

I want to calculate water pump required for lifting the 1.5m dia. Granite ball on 3mm water sheet.
kindly help ma as the earliest.
Thanks
Snadeep
Sandeep Chauhan said:
Thanks for your reply, but this I'am already having but not getting how to calculate. kindly post something in easy method if you have thanks
What is the application? Why are you trying to do this? Is this for a schoolwork assignment?

No Sir, It's not school assignment, I'm having one client he want this type of water fountain in his upcoming mall project. I've to provide him calculations for this granite Sphere water fountain.

Sandeep Chauhan said:
No Sir, It's not school assignment, I'm having one client he want this type of water fountain in his upcoming mall project. I've to provide him calculations for this granite Sphere water fountain.
What is your background? If you don't have the mechanical engineering background for this assignment, it may be best for you to hire a local professional engineer to design the system. Asking for this kind of design advice on the Internet is not very professional, especially when it involves such heavy objects...

Sir,
I'm a estimation and design engineer and working for water fountain company from last four year, but this is my first time I'm facing such kind of water feature that's why I'm looking for some basic information so that i can work on it and Sir, I'm a mechanical engineer. Thanks

berkeman said:
Asking for this kind of design advice on the Internet is not very professional, especially when it involves such heavy objects...
Especially spherical ones...

indiana-jones-boulder-o.gif

Likes billy_joule and berkeman
When the power fails, the ball will crash down. Calculating how to design to resist damage from that might be even harder. Also design for pranks where kids will try to push the rock to the side. A fake ball made of foam might be a solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another solution could be a hemispherical cup on a supporting pillar. The cup could have small holes for water under pressure. If it lifted the back only one mn, the ball would still move and spin slowly. But if anything goes wrong, the cup catches the ball. A surrounding water column would conceal the cup and the pillar, thus creating this illusion that it is holding the ball up.

Related to Floating Granite Sphere Fountain

What is a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain?

A Floating Granite Sphere Fountain is a unique water feature that consists of a large granite sphere that appears to be floating on a pool of water. The sphere is usually made of solid granite and is placed on top of a concealed pipe that pumps water through the sphere, creating a stunning visual effect.

How does a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain work?

The sphere is placed on top of a concealed pipe that pumps water through the sphere. This pipe is connected to a pump, which circulates the water from the pool up through the pipe and out through a small hole in the sphere. The water then cascades down the sides of the sphere, creating a mesmerizing floating effect.

What are the benefits of having a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain?

Aside from being a visually striking addition to any space, a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain also provides a soothing sound of running water, which can help create a peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. It can also act as a natural humidifier, adding moisture to the air, and can even attract birds and other wildlife to your outdoor space.

What are the maintenance requirements for a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain?

Maintaining a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain is relatively easy. You will need to regularly check and clean the pump and filter to ensure proper functioning. The sphere may also need to be cleaned occasionally to remove any build-up of algae or debris. It is also recommended to drain and refill the pool every few months to keep the water clean and clear.

Can a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain be customized?

Yes, a Floating Granite Sphere Fountain can be customized to fit your specific needs and preferences. You can choose the size, color, and type of granite for the sphere, as well as the design and materials for the surrounding pool. You can also add lighting to enhance the visual effect and even incorporate additional features, such as a bubbling rock or a water jet, to create a more dynamic fountain.