Flow in a pipe with a tank on its top, and a nozzle on its bottom

In summary, the conversation is about determining the optimal height of water in a tank and the diameter of a nozzle in order to reach 1000 rpm with a pelton turbine. The tank is filled with water and has a hole in the bottom, allowing water to flow through a 20-meter pipe. The nozzle at the bottom of the pipe is causing some flow restriction and the speaker is unsure of how to choose the right diameter to increase water speed. The other person in the conversation mentions that any nozzle will restrict flow, but the least restriction occurs when the outlet diameter of the pipe is unchanged. It is also mentioned that the success of achieving 1000 rpm depends on the specifications of the turbine, its attachment, and the height of water
ecm00
I have a tank filled with water on the top of a pipe (height of water = h)
there's a hole in the bottom of the tank, so that when the hole is suddenly opened, water will flow in the pipe of length 20 meters
at the bottom of the pipe, there's a nozzle (I don't know how to choose the right nozzle diameter in order not to restrict water flow, and to increase water speed)
the jet from the nozzle will hit a pelton turbine of 20 cm diameter

I want to get about 1000 rpm from the turbine. How can I choose the height of water in the tank and the nozzle diameter? Is 1000 rpm achievable?

Physics news on Phys.org
ecm00 said:
at the bottom of the pipe, there's a nozzle (I don't know how to choose the right nozzle diameter in order not to restrict water flow, and to increase water speed)

any sort of nozzle is going to restrict the flow, can't be any other way that I can see. The least restriction is when the outlet diameter of the pipe is unchanged

Dave

thx!
so how should I choose the diameter of my nozzle? how to reach 1000 rpm?

ecm00 said:
thx!
so how should I choose the diameter of my nozzle? how to reach 1000 rpm?

Thats beyond my knowledge, I don't know if it can be done or not.

D

That depends on the spec of your turbine, whatever it's attached to, and the "h" of your tank.

Related to Flow in a pipe with a tank on its top, and a nozzle on its bottom

1. What is the purpose of a tank on top of a pipe with a nozzle on the bottom?

The tank on top of the pipe serves as a reservoir for the fluid, while the nozzle at the bottom controls the flow rate of the fluid. This setup allows for a controlled and continuous flow of fluid through the pipe.

2. How does the height of the tank affect the flow in the pipe?

The height of the tank determines the pressure head of the fluid, which affects the flow rate in the pipe. A higher tank will result in a higher pressure head and therefore a higher flow rate.

3. What factors influence the flow rate in this system?

The flow rate in this system is influenced by the pressure head of the fluid, the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, and the size of the nozzle.

4. What is the equation for calculating the flow rate in this system?

The equation for calculating the flow rate in this system is Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the velocity of the fluid.

5. Can the flow rate be adjusted by changing the size of the nozzle?

Yes, the flow rate can be adjusted by changing the size of the nozzle. A larger nozzle will result in a higher flow rate, while a smaller nozzle will result in a lower flow rate.