Flow rate and velocity form a Conical tank.

In summary, two factors that affect the flow rate and pressure of water in a cone shaped tank with a 3 inch nozzle are the height of the water level in the tank and the application of the continuity equation, Bernoulli's principle, and Torricelli theorem. However, a solution to determine the exact flow rate and pressure is still needed.
dilipbhanu
I am working on a Hydro project. Just can't get this right.

I have a water tank (cone shaped) with Radius 60 Inches and height 120 Inches. The Tip of the cone has a nozzle with a 3 inch opening. If the Air pressure is ignored. What will be the flow rate of water and pressure. ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hm.. interesting question, i do not have a solution myself, but here are some stuff that comes to my mind while thinking of this question.

The flow rate is not constant, as flow rate depend on height of the water that is in the conical tank. therefore, as the water level in the tank decreases, the flow rate at the nozzle varies.

seem like we need to apply the continuity equation, Bernoulli's principle and Torricelli theorem.

thats all i can think of, would be nice if someone can come up with a solution for this =D

FAQ: Flow rate and velocity form a Conical tank.

1. What is the difference between flow rate and velocity?

Flow rate refers to the volume of fluid that passes through a given point in a specific amount of time, while velocity is the speed and direction of the fluid flow. Flow rate is typically measured in liters per second, while velocity is measured in meters per second.

2. How are flow rate and velocity related in a conical tank?

In a conical tank, the flow rate and velocity are inversely proportional. This means that as the flow rate increases, the velocity decreases, and vice versa. This is because the total volume of fluid in the tank remains constant, but the cross-sectional area of the tank decreases as it tapers towards the bottom.

3. How does the shape of the conical tank affect the flow rate and velocity?

The shape of the conical tank affects the flow rate and velocity because it determines the cross-sectional area of the tank at different points. As the cross-sectional area decreases towards the bottom of the tank, the velocity of the fluid increases to maintain a constant flow rate.

4. What is the formula for calculating flow rate and velocity in a conical tank?

The formula for calculating flow rate in a conical tank is Q = (πr2h)/t, where Q is the flow rate, r is the radius of the tank, h is the height of the tank, and t is the time. The formula for calculating velocity is v = Q/A, where v is the velocity, Q is the flow rate, and A is the cross-sectional area of the tank at a specific point.

5. How does the flow rate and velocity affect the pressure in a conical tank?

In a conical tank, as the flow rate and velocity increase, the pressure also increases. This is because the fluid is moving at a faster rate and therefore exerting more force on the walls of the tank. This can be seen in the Bernoulli's equation, which states that as the velocity of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa.