Flow Rate Experiment: Measuring Gas Flow vs Theory

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up an experiment to determine the maximum gas flow rate through a 1/4" tubing using the modified Darcy equation. The conditions for the experiment include using nitrogen as the gas, reducing the length of tubing for ease of experimentation while ensuring comparable results to the theoretical rate, and using a flow meter and pressure regulators for accurate measurements.
g0ggs123
Measured rate of gas flow vs theoretical rate of gas flow

I am looking to set up an experiment to determine the maximum flow rate of gas through a 1/4" tubing.

I have a spreadsheet which calculates the theoretical rate. The modified Darcy equation was used to calculate the mass flow of gas through the tubing when choked flow is present.

(Quick question - any other ways of calculating either better or worse?)

I would be looking to achieve the following conditions:

upstream pressure - 120barg
downstream pressure - atm
pipe ID - 0.125"
Length of tubing - 600m (I know that a shorter length will create larger flow rates but is there any way I can reduce this length for ease of experiment and still get comparable results if the theoretical rate was calculated using 600m length?)

Would Nitrogen be a good gas to use with this test?

I have a flow meter which produces a digital read out of the results so would it be a case of connecting that to one end of the tubing and pumping nitrogen through the other end?

Also what would the general rig up look like?

Cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
.Yes, nitrogen is a good gas to use with this test. You can reduce the length of tubing for the experiment, but you should make sure that the results are comparable to the theoretical rate calculated using the 600m length. The general rig up should include a pressure regulator and gauge on each end of the tubing. At the upstream end, the pressure regulator should be set to 120barg, while the downstream pressure should be set to atmospheric pressure. The flow meter should be connected to the downstream end of the tubing. The flow meter should be calibrated before the experiment to ensure accurate readings.

Related to Flow Rate Experiment: Measuring Gas Flow vs Theory

1. What is the purpose of the flow rate experiment?

The purpose of the flow rate experiment is to measure the actual flow rate of a gas and compare it to the theoretical flow rate predicted by a mathematical model. This allows for the verification of the model's accuracy and potential for improving its predictions.

2. What materials are needed for the flow rate experiment?

The materials needed for the flow rate experiment include a gas source, a flow meter, a timer, a container to collect the gas, and a scale to measure the weight of the gas collected.

3. How is the flow rate of a gas measured?

The flow rate of a gas is measured by using a flow meter, which is a device that measures the volume of gas passing through it per unit of time. This value is then divided by the cross-sectional area of the flow meter to determine the flow rate in units of volume per unit time.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the flow rate experiment?

The accuracy of the flow rate experiment can be affected by factors such as the temperature and pressure of the gas, the calibration of the flow meter, and any leaks or obstructions in the gas flow system. It is important to control these variables to ensure accurate results.

5. What are the potential applications of the flow rate experiment?

The flow rate experiment has many potential applications in various fields such as engineering, environmental science, and chemistry. It can be used to optimize gas flow in industrial processes, monitor air pollution levels, and study the behavior of gases in different conditions.