Flow Through Orifice Homework: Bernoulli's & Motion Eqs

In summary, the homework statement states that: Homework Equations state that v = u + at, s = ut + ½ at², and v² = u² + 2as. It appears as though the student is trying to solve for h, but is not sure how to proceed. The student has managed to work through and get the answer, and has also provided a summary of the content.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Please see attached.

Homework Equations

[/B]
img00094.gif

v = u + at
s = ut + ½ at²
v² = u² + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I've managed to get the first part of the question applying Bernoulli's principle and then the equations of motion above by considering separately the vertical and horizontal.

As for the second part, I'm not sure how to go about it. I believe that I would simply need to plug what's known into a certain formula and then solve for h; I expect that would yield a quadratic equation with two solutions for h. But I'm not sure what I need to be using to get this?

Attachments

• Flow-through-orifice.JPG
    Flow-through-orifice.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
You already have a quadratic equation for h if you fix x.

Suppose you get a distance x if you drill the hole at h=h1. What distance do you get if you drill the hole at h=H-h1?

Chet

Thank you for the replies! I've managed to work through and get the answer; it was so simple but I just couldn't see it. For the last part of the question though I'm not too sure how to proceed. Essentially I'm trying to maximise the distance x, but I'm not sure how to do that. I'm assuming I could either differentiate an equation for x and set it to zero and solve, or make an assumption to maximise x. However I'm not sure on an equation to use, or an appropriate assumption to make.

You already have an equation for x as a function of the relevant variable. I suggest you do what you just suggested.

Thanks for the reply. Ok so I got the depth at which the maximum distance occurs as being at a height H/2 below the surface. Is that correct?

samjohnny said:
Thanks for the reply. Ok so I got the depth at which the maximum distance occurs as being at a height H/2 below the surface. Is that correct?
Yes.

Thanks a lot for both of your kind help!

Related to Flow Through Orifice Homework: Bernoulli's & Motion Eqs

1. What is Bernoulli's equation?

Bernoulli's equation is a fundamental principle in fluid mechanics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a moving fluid. It states that as the speed of a fluid increases, its pressure decreases, and vice versa.

2. How is Bernoulli's equation used in flow through orifice homework?

In flow through orifice homework, Bernoulli's equation is used to calculate the velocity of a fluid as it passes through an orifice. This is important for determining the flow rate and pressure changes in a system.

3. What is the equation for motion in fluid mechanics?

The equation for motion in fluid mechanics is known as the Navier-Stokes equation. It describes the relationship between the forces acting on a fluid, its acceleration, and its properties such as viscosity and density.

4. How is the motion equation used in flow through orifice homework?

The motion equation is used in flow through orifice homework to calculate the forces acting on a fluid as it passes through an orifice. These forces are important for understanding the behavior of the fluid and predicting its flow rate and pressure changes.

5. What are some real-world applications of flow through orifice homework?

Flow through orifice homework has many real-world applications, such as in water and gas distribution systems, hydraulic systems, and aerodynamics. It is also used in industries such as oil and gas, manufacturing, and aerospace engineering to design and optimize fluid flow systems.