Fluid dynamics: Knowledge continuity equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem on fluid dynamics involving the movement of air in a tube. The author provides equations and their understanding of how the liquid height and flow speed affect air pressure. However, the author's answer is incorrect and the helpers suggest rethinking the problem and considering the air speed at the surfaces of the liquid columns.
Avalanche

Homework Statement

Please click on the link for the question.

http://i1154.photobucket.com/albums/p526/cathy446/physicsquestion_zps49e16ab1.jpg

Assume that air spreads out after coming out from the tube at 2. The speed over tube 1 is almost zero.

Homework Equations

Knowledge problem on fluid dynamics
Continuity equation A1v1 = A2v2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the higher the liquid height of the tubes, the lower the air pressure. Higher flow speed also results in low pressure. So when the cross sectional area is large, the flow speed should be slow.

Using this reasoning, my answer was h2 > h4 > h3 > h1 but that answer is wrong.

Is something wrong with my logic?

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your logic.

The fact that the author gave two options where h3>h4>h2, and leaves you to think about how the open-air height h1 relates to those in the tube, suggests that the author might have it backwards. Perhaps he or she was thinking about pressure, which has the reverse relation as the heights, i.e. p1>p3>p4>p2

Hi again,

I have discussed this problem with some of the other helpers here, and we now believe that answer is wrong as you were told.

As a hint, think about how fast the air is moving right at the surfaces of each of the liquid columns.

Related to Fluid dynamics: Knowledge continuity equation

What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of the movement of fluids, including liquids and gases. It involves the study of how fluids behave under various conditions and the factors that influence their behavior.

What is the continuity equation in fluid dynamics?

The continuity equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states that the mass of fluid entering a system must be equal to the mass leaving the system, taking into account any changes in density or velocity within the system.

How is the continuity equation derived?

The continuity equation is derived from the principle of conservation of mass, which states that mass can neither be created nor destroyed. By applying this principle to a fluid system, we can derive the continuity equation to describe the relationship between fluid velocity, density, and flow rate.

Why is the continuity equation important?

The continuity equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of fluids in various systems, such as pipes, pumps, and turbines. It is also a fundamental principle in other areas of physics, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics.

What are some real-world applications of the continuity equation?

The continuity equation has many practical applications, including designing and optimizing fluid systems in engineering, predicting weather patterns and ocean currents, and understanding the flow of blood in the human body. It is also used in aerodynamics to study the airflow around airplanes and other vehicles.