Why is ro = 0.2255 in fluid dynamics vortices?

In summary: Bernoulli's equationIn summary, the conversation is about a closed cylindrical tank with specific dimensions and water level that is being rotated at a constant angular velocity. The question is about the value of ro, which is shown in a handwritten calculation provided by the professor. The student is confused because when they substitute the values in the calculation, they get a different answer from the professor's. They ask for clarification on what they might be doing wrong.
yecko
Gold Member
Homework Statement
A closed cylindrical tank of 4 m in height and 2 m in diameter contains water to a depth of 3 m. When the cylinder is rotated at a constant angular velocity of 40 rad/s, show that nearly 0.71 m2 of the bottom surface of the tank is uncovered.
Relevant Equations
pressure surface, Bernoulli's equation
1607059199222.png

why is ro = 0.2255?
1607059272299.png

Thank you

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
yecko said:
Homework Statement:: A closed cylindrical tank of 4 m in height and 2 m in diameter contains water to a depth of 3 m. When the cylinder is rotated at a constant angular velocity of 40 rad/s, show that nearly 0.71 m2 of the bottom surface of the tank is uncovered.
Relevant Equations:: pressure surface, Bernoulli's equation

View attachment 273668
why is ro = 0.2255?
View attachment 273669

Thank you
I would have assumed the handwritten calculation was yours, but your question implies it is someone else's. Please clarify.

Likes Delta2
Sorry for being unclear.
The handwritten one is the answer written by prof. And the answer is same as final model answer in textbook.
However, when I substitute the number in the red bracket, I can only obtain 0.1519 from calculator instead of prof‘s answer 0.2255.
Have I done anything wrong? Thank you.

Likes Delta2
yecko said:
Sorry for being unclear.
The handwritten one is the answer written by prof. And the answer is same as final model answer in textbook.
However, when I substitute the number in the red bracket, I can only obtain 0.1519 from calculator instead of prof‘s answer 0.2255.
Have I done anything wrong? Thank you.
OK, but you'll have to decipher the scrawl for me. It looks like ##\frac{64g}{\zeta^2}+4r_0^2=1##. If so, what is ##\zeta##?

1607081680932.png

From Kundu, by comparing the formula "Surfaces of constant pressure are given by ...", ζ written by Prof should be ω here, which implicates angular velocity. However, when I substite 40 rad/s, the answer is wrong. Am I having any misunderstanding with ζ?

for reference, this question is utilising the approach of "constant pressure surface"
1607082158657.png

FAQ: Why is ro = 0.2255 in fluid dynamics vortices?

1. What are vortices in fluid dynamics?

Vortices are swirling patterns that occur in fluids, such as air or water, due to differences in fluid velocities. They are created when the fluid flows around an object or when there is a change in the direction or speed of the fluid flow.

2. How do vortices affect fluid flow?

Vortices can have both positive and negative effects on fluid flow. On one hand, they can increase mixing and enhance heat and mass transfer in the fluid. On the other hand, they can also cause drag and turbulence, which can reduce the efficiency of fluid flow.

3. What causes vortices to form?

Vortices are formed when there is a difference in fluid velocities, which can be caused by various factors such as changes in pressure, temperature, or the presence of obstacles in the fluid flow. Vortices can also form naturally in nature, such as in the formation of tornadoes or whirlpools.

4. How are vortices studied in fluid dynamics?

In fluid dynamics, vortices are studied using mathematical equations and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to understand the behavior of vortices and how they interact with the surrounding fluid. Experimental techniques, such as flow visualization, are also used to observe and study vortices in real-world scenarios.

5. Can vortices be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, vortices can be controlled and manipulated using various techniques such as flow control devices, vortex generators, and flow shaping. These methods can be used to either enhance or suppress vortices, depending on the desired outcome in a specific fluid flow situation.

Back