Fluid Force Problem- Caclulus II

In summary, the problem involves finding the fluid force on a porthole located on a vertical side of a submerged submarine. The porthole has a diameter of 2r feet and is d feet below the surface. The weight density of sea water is 64 pounds per cubic foot. The relevant equations are fluid pressure = weight * height and fluid force = pressure * area. To solve the problem, the integral of pressure * area must be taken from d-r feet (top) to d+r feet (bottom), with the equation of a circle and a horizontal strip at depth y and thickness dy used to find the area of the porthole and the pressure at each depth. The resulting integral is then solved to find the total fluid
lovelylila
Problem:
A porthole on a vertical side of a submarine submerged in sea water has a diameter of 2r feet. Sea water has a weight density of 64 pounds per cubic foot. Find the fluid force on the porthole, assuming that the center of the porthole is d feet below the surface.

Relevant Equations:
fluid pressure= weight * height aka p=wh
fluid force= p*A, A being the area the force is exerted on.

Attempt at Solution:

I know its going to be the integral of p*A bound from zero to some number. I thought that p might equal 64y (the weight times the height), but that seems too simple and I think "d" has to be incorporated into that part of the integral somehow. For A, I used the equation of the circle, x^2 + y^2 = r^2, A=y= square root (r^2-x^2). That's where I stopped, because none of that seems right, I feel like I need to have everything in terms of one or two variables in order to integrate and actually find the fluid force. P

Please help, I am so stuck and frustrated, I drew a diagram but it's not helping much! I desperately need to figure out the correct answer to this problem!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"A porthole on a vertical side". The porthole is vertical and different horizontal lines drawn across the porthole have different depths. Your diagram should be a circle with at least one horizontal line across it representing a section of the porthole at a constant depth. Since the center of the porthole is at d feet, and has radius r feet, the depth of each part of the porthole ranges from d-r feet (top) to d+r feet (bottom). Those should be the limits of integration. The equation of a circle of radius r with center at (0, d) is, of course, [itex]x^2+ (y-d)^2= r^2[/itex] or [itex]x= \sqrt{r^2- (y-d)^2}[/itex]. A horizontal strip at depth y, thickness dy, will have area [itex]\sqrt{r^2- (y-d)^2}dy[/itex]. The pressure at depth y is 64y so the total force on that strip is [itex]64y\sqrt{r^2- (y-d)^2}dy[/itex]. That's what you need to integrate.

thank you VERY much, but how does one go about integrating that? help, I'm very stuck, i tried using u-substitution for the square root, but i feel that somehow there should be an easy way to integrate the square root function, because its a circle...

Related to Fluid Force Problem- Caclulus II

1. What is fluid force problem in Calculus II?

The fluid force problem in Calculus II involves using mathematical concepts and techniques to calculate the force exerted by a fluid on an object.

2. What are some real-life applications of fluid force problem?

Some real-life applications of fluid force problem include calculating the force of water on a dam, determining the lift force on an airplane wing, and estimating the pressure on a submarine at certain depths.

3. What is the equation used to calculate fluid force?

The equation used to calculate fluid force is F = ρghA, where ρ is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the fluid, and A is the area of the object in contact with the fluid.

4. How is calculus used in solving fluid force problems?

Calculus is used in solving fluid force problems by integrating the force equation over a specific area to find the total force exerted by the fluid. Calculus is also used to find the maximum or minimum force, depending on the problem.

5. What are some common challenges in solving fluid force problems?

Some common challenges in solving fluid force problems include accurately determining the density and depth of the fluid, choosing the correct area to integrate over, and dealing with irregularly shaped objects or fluids with varying densities.

Back