Fluid mechanics: finding friction factor, should be simple

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving water flow through a 3cmID smooth brass tube at 20°C and a flow rate of 0.002 m^3/s. The equations V=Q/A, f=64/Re, and Re=VD/(nu) are used to find the velocity, Reynolds number, and friction factor. However, it is discovered that the calculated friction factor is incorrect due to the flow being turbulent and requiring consultation of the Moody diagram. Using the diagram, the correct friction factor of 0.0185 is obtained. The conversation also mentions that density is not explicitly used because it is included in the kinematic viscosity, nu.
musicmar

Homework Statement

Given: water at 20°C flows through a 3cmID smooth brass tube at 0.002 m^3/s.

Homework Equations

V=Q/A
f=64/Re
Re=VD/(nu)

The Attempt at a Solution

V=Q/A=(0.002 m^3/s)/((∏/4)*(0.03 m)^2) = 2.829 m/s

Re=VD/(nu)
= (2.829 m/s)*(0.03 m)/(1x10^-6 m^2/s)=84882.64

f=64/Re=0.0075

I know this is wrong for two reasons:
1. The numeric answer is in the back of the book: 0.0185
2. Looking at the Moody Diagram: there is no f value on the chart below 0.008.

Any help in finding my mistake would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Out of interest I've had a look at this, but I've not touched fluid flow since I was a student.

Here is a very similar example: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071223185604AAiTXv9

How does your working compare? I see you haven't explicitly used density. (BTW, you've lost one of the 0's from your ƒ.)

Here's a Moody diagram http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/moody-diagram-d_618.html

https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon2.gif It seems to indicate that for Reynold's numbers up to about 2,500 the flow is laminar, the graph is a straight line so the Darcy–Weisbach friction factor formula ƒ=Re/64 applies. But for Re exceeding about 2,500 the flow is turbulent and you must consult the Moody diagram. If you do, I think you'll get your 0.018 figure. :cool:

How have I done? :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
We had another problem that explicitly told us to use the Moody Diagram, so I guess I didn't realize it would be necessary, but you are right. I didn't use density because it is included in the kinematic viscosity, nu(didn't bother to find a symbol for it). I did get the right answer from the Moody diagram.
Thank you.

Related to Fluid mechanics: finding friction factor, should be simple

1. What is fluid mechanics and why is it important?

Fluid mechanics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of fluids (liquids and gases) and their behavior under different conditions. It is important because it helps us understand how fluids move and interact with their surroundings, which is crucial in various fields such as engineering, environmental science, and even biology.

2. How do I calculate the friction factor in fluid mechanics?

The friction factor, also known as the Darcy-Weisbach friction factor, is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of frictional resistance in a fluid flow. It can be calculated using various methods, such as the Colebrook equation, the Moody chart, or empirical correlations. The specific method to use depends on the type of flow, the fluid properties, and the geometry of the system.

3. Is finding the friction factor in fluid mechanics a complicated process?

It can be complex and time-consuming, especially when dealing with complex fluid flow scenarios. However, there are various online calculators and software programs available that can make the process easier and more accurate. It is important to have a good understanding of the underlying principles and assumptions behind the chosen calculation method.

4. What factors affect the friction factor in fluid mechanics?

The friction factor is influenced by several factors, including the type of fluid, the flow velocity, the roughness of the surfaces, and the geometry of the system. In general, a higher fluid velocity or rougher surfaces will result in a higher friction factor, while a smoother surface or a more viscous fluid will result in a lower friction factor.

5. How is the friction factor used in practical applications?

The friction factor is an essential parameter in the design and analysis of fluid flow systems, such as pipelines, pumps, and turbines. It is used to calculate pressure drops, flow rates, and energy losses, which are crucial in determining the efficiency and performance of these systems. It is also used in the development of fluid flow models and simulations for various engineering and scientific purposes.