Fluid Mechanics/Geology research with geologist useful?

In summary: However, if you have only published in journals that are not considered to be at the forefront of FM research, your chances of being accepted into a graduate program in FM are going to be much lower.In summary, this geologist has a MS in physics and a PhD in atmospheric science. He has published in journals that are not considered to be at the forefront of FM research, but his record of scholarly achievement includes being a co-author on a paper that is in a top-rate fluid mechanics journal. If you are a co-author on a paper that is in a top-rate fluid mechanics journal, your chances of being accepted into a graduate program in FM are going to be much higher.
Lagraaaange
If I were to do research in fluid mechanics with a geologist, would this be looked down upon by grad programs if I went into, say astrophysics or HEP? I don't know what I want to specialize in yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lagraaaange said:
If I were to do research in fluid mechanics with a geologist, would this be looked down upon by grad programs if I went into, say astrophysics or HEP? I don't know what I want to specialize in yet?
It would probably look better on your resume if you did research in FM with a physicist or engineer who specializes in studying FM. IDK what special skills or insights geology or geologists bring to the table where FM is concerned.

It's not for nothing that Sheldon Cooper refers to his colleagues in the Geology Dept. as "the Rock People". :wink:

Well in this case, the geologist has a MS in physics and PhD in atmospheric science.

Lagraaaange said:
Well in this case, the geologist has a MS in physics and PhD in atmospheric science.
Still not convinced. What FM research has this geologist himself been involved with?

Look, if you have to explain things in detail to someone like me, what kind of questions do you think the faculty in a grad program is going to ask, assuming, of course, that they think this geologist is the proper mentor for someone studying FM? You'll have to submit this geologist's C.V. and research history along with your own information.

Lagraaaange said:

My graduate advisor has a PhD in Geology, our work together (while he was a member of the Physics department) was in fluid mechanics, and now he's Dean of an engieering college- labels don't matter.

What does matter to a grad admissions committee (besides grades and test scores) is a record of scholarly achievement. For example, if you are a co-author on a paper that is in a top-rate fluid mechanics journal, nobody will care that you worked with a geologist.

FAQ: Fluid Mechanics/Geology research with geologist useful?

1. What is the importance of studying fluid mechanics in geology research?

Fluid mechanics is crucial in understanding the behavior and movement of fluids, which are essential in geological processes such as erosion, sedimentation, and groundwater flow. By studying fluid mechanics, we can better understand these processes and their impact on the Earth's surface and subsurface.

2. How do geologists use fluid mechanics in their research?

Geologists use fluid mechanics principles to analyze the flow of fluids in natural systems, such as rivers, oceans, and groundwater. They also use concepts such as viscosity, density, and pressure to model the movement of fluids and predict its effects on geological formations.

3. What are some specific applications of fluid mechanics in geology research?

Some specific applications of fluid mechanics in geology research include studying the movement of groundwater in aquifers, modeling sediment transport in rivers and coastlines, and understanding the formation of geological structures through fluid-induced processes like salt diapirism.

4. How does understanding fluid mechanics benefit geologists in their fieldwork?

A thorough understanding of fluid mechanics allows geologists to interpret field observations and measurements more accurately. They can also use fluid mechanics principles to design experiments and field studies to test their hypotheses and better understand natural systems.

5. What are some current research topics in fluid mechanics that are relevant to geology?

Some current research topics in fluid mechanics that are relevant to geology include studying the impact of climate change on river flow and sediment transport, understanding the mechanics of hydraulic fracturing in shale gas extraction, and investigating the role of fluids in the formation of Martian landscapes.