Fluid Mechanics textbook Recommendations - 1st year Mech Eng

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a good textbook for fluid mechanics with a lot of worked example problems. The speaker mentions their struggle with finding a suitable textbook in the past and asks for recommendations. One of the recommendations given is a big book of solved problems and the possibility of finding solutions manuals online. The conversation ends with a suggestion to combine a specific textbook with video resources for better understanding.
chuffy
Hi,

I've done a search and I know that other people have askled for a good textbook for fluid mechanics for a 1st year Mech Eng student however, I'd like to find one with a lot of worked example ploblems.

I'm finding my course notes are too far a jump from the simple examples our lecturer gives compared to the harder tutorial questions.

I faced a similar problem last term when I bought a book for statics. It had plenty of pronlems but no worked soultions for the harder end of chapter questions and I struggled.

We have been recommended the following books:
Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics - B.R. young
Introduction to Fluid Mechanics - Fox R.W.

Are there any books that would suit my style of learning of looking at worked examples?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
you mean digging online?
The lecturer won't put up the solutions until 1 week before the exams

I actually found Young's book to be a good explanation, especially when combined with "Fluids Learn ChemE" video series out of the university of Colorado - boulder. You can youtube the videos or watch them on iTunesU.

Related to Fluid Mechanics textbook Recommendations - 1st year Mech Eng

1. What is the best fluid mechanics textbook for a 1st year Mechanical Engineering student?

There are several great options for a fluid mechanics textbook for first year Mechanical Engineering students. Some popular choices include "Fluid Mechanics for Engineers" by David A. Chin, "Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics" by Bruce R. Munson, and "Introduction to Fluid Mechanics" by Robert W. Fox. Ultimately, the best textbook will depend on individual learning styles and preferences.

2. What topics should be covered in a 1st year fluid mechanics textbook for Mechanical Engineering students?

A good fluid mechanics textbook for first year Mechanical Engineering students should cover topics such as fluid properties, fluid statics, fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's equation, conservation of mass, energy and momentum, and dimensional analysis. It should also include practical applications and examples to help students apply the concepts.

3. Is it necessary to purchase a physical textbook or are digital versions available?

Many fluid mechanics textbooks are available in both physical and digital formats. Some publishers offer online access to their textbooks for a fee, while others may have free digital versions available. It is recommended to check with your professor or university library for the most cost-effective option.

4. Are there any recommended supplemental materials or resources for a fluid mechanics textbook?

Some fluid mechanics textbooks may come with online resources such as practice problems, interactive simulations, and video lectures. Additionally, there are many online resources and video tutorials available that can supplement your learning and help clarify difficult concepts.

5. Can I use an older edition of a fluid mechanics textbook instead of the latest edition?

It is generally recommended to use the latest edition of a textbook as it will have the most updated information and may include newer examples and practice problems. However, if the changes between editions are minimal, an older edition may still be suitable for use.