Fluid Statics Problem: Calculating Resultant Force on a Dam - Solution Attempt

In summary, the question asks to find the resultant horizontal force exerted on a dam by water standing at a depth D behind the vertical upstream face of the dam. The solution involves considering the gage pressure (pressure of the liquid) rather than the absolute pressure (pressure of the liquid and air above it) due to the cancelling out of air pressure on both sides of the dam. The net force of the air pressure in the vertical direction is cancelled out separately on each side of the dam by the vertical columns at those locations.
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

Water stands at a depth D behind the vertical upstream face of a dam. Let W be the width of the dam. Find the resultant horizontal force exerted on the dam by the water.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to solve the problem, I was just unsure of whether we should be considering the force caused by the absolute pressure (pressure of the liquid & the pressure of the air above it) or just simply the gauge pressure (pressure of the liquid). My intuition tells me the latter (since a force from the pressure of the air would act vertical), but I would just like to verify.

Physics news on Phys.org
NATURE.M said:

Homework Statement

Water stands at a depth D behind the vertical upstream face of a dam. Let W be the width of the dam. Find the resultant horizontal force exerted on the dam by the water.

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know how to solve the problem, I was just unsure of whether we should be considering the force caused by the absolute pressure (pressure of the liquid & the pressure of the air above it) or just simply the gauge pressure (pressure of the liquid). My intuition tells me the latter (since a force from the pressure of the air would act vertical), but I would just like to verify.
Your intuition gave you the right answer, but for the wrong reason. The pressure doesn't just act in the vertical direction. It acts in all direction. Otherwise, how does the water pressure exert a horizontal force on the dam? The reason you use the gage pressure is that the air is exerting a horizontal force on the other side of the dam, so the air pressures cancel out.

Chet

So there's air pressure on both sides of the dam that cancel?
I thought their was only air pressure on the side of the dam with no water.
And just for emphasis the net force of the air pressure in the vertical direction cancels as well right?

NATURE.M said:
So there's air pressure on both sides of the dam that cancel?
Yes.
I thought their was only air pressure on the side of the dam with no water.
No. There is a contribution of air pressure on both sides of the dam. On the water side, the absolute pressure at any depth d is pa+ρgd (where pa is atmospheric pressure). On the air side of the dam, the absolute pressure at any depth d is just pa. The difference between these two pressures is just ρgd, which is the gage pressure.
And just for emphasis the net force of the air pressure in the vertical direction cancels as well right?
The air pressure in the vertical direction is supported separately on each side of the dam by the vertical columns at those locations.

Thanks Chestermiller, it makes a lot of sense now.

Related to Fluid Statics Problem: Calculating Resultant Force on a Dam - Solution Attempt

1. What is Fluid Statics?

Fluid Statics is the branch of fluid mechanics that deals with the study of fluids at rest, or in a state of equilibrium. It focuses on the behavior of fluids under the influence of external forces, such as gravity, and does not consider the effects of fluid flow.

2. What is a Fluid Statics Problem?

A Fluid Statics Problem is a type of problem that involves the application of principles and equations from fluid statics to find the unknown properties of a fluid at rest. It typically involves solving for variables such as pressure, density, and height in a given system.

3. What are some common applications of Fluid Statics?

Fluid Statics has a wide range of applications, including in the design and analysis of dams, pipelines, and storage tanks. It is also used in weather forecasting, oceanography, and the study of atmospheric pressure.

4. How do you solve a Fluid Statics Problem?

To solve a Fluid Statics Problem, you must first identify the known and unknown variables, and then apply the appropriate equations and principles from fluid statics, such as Pascal's Law or Archimedes' Principle. It is important to draw a clear and accurate diagram of the system to help visualize the problem and identify the forces acting on the fluid.

5. What are some common challenges when solving Fluid Statics Problems?

Some common challenges when solving Fluid Statics Problems include identifying the correct equations and principles to apply, accurately representing the system in a diagram, and ensuring proper units and conversions are used. It is also important to consider any assumptions made and their potential impact on the accuracy of the solution.