Fluids - Conical vs Cylindrical Water Clock

In summary, through researching water clocks, it has been discovered that conical containers with the hole at its point are superior to cylindrical containers with the hole on the side. This is because the conical shape allows for all of the water to eventually drip out, while a cylinder may have leftover water on the sides that never reaches the hole. Additionally, the narrowing diameter of the conical container may counteract the slowing rate of dripping, allowing for a constant rate of decrease in the height of the water, making it easier to read on a linear scale.
sean882
I am researching water clocks through history. At some point, it was realized that for the container the water drips from, a conical container with the hole at its point was superior to a cylindrical container with the hole in its side. Could someone explain to me why conical containers are superior?

Thanks,
-Sean

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't know much about water clocks but I would imagine one advantage of a conical container would be that all of the water would eventually drip out. In a cylinder you will get some left over water on the sides that will never make it to the hole on their own. But if the water is dripping out the point of a cone it will all make it to the hole.

sean882 said:
me why conical containers are superior?

Just an idea, but if the rate of dripping is proportional to pressure then it would drip slower and slower as it empties, but the narrowing diameter of the conical one would make the height of the free surface drop faster and faster as it empties, possibly counteracting the slowing and leading to a constant rate of decrease of height so it could be read on a linear scale.

Related to Fluids - Conical vs Cylindrical Water Clock

1. What is a conical water clock?

A conical water clock is a device used to measure time by the steady flow of water from a conical shaped vessel. As the water flows out, the level of the water decreases and can be used to mark the passage of time.

2. How does a cylindrical water clock work?

A cylindrical water clock works in a similar way to a conical water clock, but instead of a conical shape, the vessel is cylindrical. The water flows out of the vessel at a steady rate, and as the level decreases, it can be used to measure time.

3. What are the advantages of a conical water clock over a cylindrical one?

The conical shape of the vessel in a conical water clock allows for a more precise measurement of time. The rate at which the water flows out is more consistent, resulting in more accurate timekeeping. Additionally, the conical shape allows for a larger volume of water to be held, leading to longer periods of time being measured.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a cylindrical water clock?

One potential disadvantage of a cylindrical water clock is that the water may not flow out at a consistent rate due to changes in pressure or temperature. This can result in less accurate timekeeping compared to a conical water clock.

5. What are some modern applications of conical and cylindrical water clocks?

Today, conical and cylindrical water clocks are primarily used as decorative or educational pieces. However, the principles of water flow and time measurement are still used in modern devices such as hourglasses and water timers for cooking. The concept of using fluid flow to measure time has also been adapted for use in mechanical and electronic devices, such as flow meters and water clocks in hydroelectric power plants.