Fluids - I wish the answer would flow to me

In summary: You exerted a pressure of F/A. The same pressure appears at the two sides of the output plungers. The force would be again F/A.
stuplato
Fluids - I wish the answer would "flow" to me

I have two problems to do and I seem to suck at fluids...:-p
The drawing shows a hydraulic system used with disc brakes. The force F is applied perpendicularly to the brake pedal. The brake pedal rotates about the axis shown in the drawing and causes a force to be applied perpendicularly to the input piston (radius = 9.53 10^-3m) in the master cylinder. The resulting pressure is transmitted by the brake fluid to the output plungers (radii = 2.14 10^-2m), which are covered with the brake linings. The linings are pressed against both sides of a disc attached to the rotating wheel. Suppose that the magnitude of F is 9.18 N. Assume that the input piston and the output plungers are at the same vertical level and find the force applied to each side of the revolving disc.
11_38.gif

A solid cylinder (radius = 0.150 m, height = 0.120 m) has a mass of 6.60 kg. This cylinder is floating in water. Then oil ( = 725 kg/m3) is poured on top of the water until the situation shown in the drawing results. How much of the height of the cylinder is in the oil?
p11-47.gif

I tried everything I could think of but just don't get it, could I have some clues? Thanks. :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What are we solving for in the first problem?

the force applied to each side of the revolving disc.

That :smile:

Forgive my double post o:)
I got the third problem so no help needed there :smile:

i really cannot get these and my grade depends on these :rolleyes:

No clue on #1

But for 2nd I try to find sum of forces and set equal to the weight of the cylinder, but it isn't right...

The hint that gravitational potential is the same is a great simplificiation. You can focus on the equivalence of forces. Assume that the fluid is incompressible.

You exert a pressure of F/A. The same pressure appears at the two sides of the output plungers. The force would be again F/A. That help?

mezarashi said:
The hint that gravitational potential is the same is a great simplificiation. You can focus on the equivalence of forces. Assume that the fluid is incompressible.

You exert a pressure of F/A. The same pressure appears at the two sides of the output plungers. The force would be again F/A. That help?

Tried that and got 46.29

But wrong... so what did I do?

Maybe you should try writing out your calculations.

Related to Fluids - I wish the answer would flow to me

1. What are fluids?

Fluids are substances that can flow and take on the shape of their container. They can be either liquids or gases and are made up of molecules that are able to move freely past one another.

2. How do fluids flow?

Fluids flow due to the movement of their molecules, which can be caused by various factors such as gravity, pressure differences, or external forces. This movement creates a continuous flow of the fluid in a specific direction.

3. What is the difference between a liquid and a gas?

The main difference between a liquid and a gas is the spacing between their molecules. In a liquid, the molecules are closer together and can move past one another, while in a gas, the molecules are further apart and move more freely.

4. How does the viscosity of a fluid affect its flow?

Viscosity is the measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. The higher the viscosity, the thicker the fluid and the more resistance it has to flow. This can affect the speed and smoothness of the flow of a fluid.

5. What are some real-life applications of fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of airplanes and cars, the study of ocean currents and weather patterns, and the development of medical equipment such as ventilators and blood flow monitors.