Fluids - maximum error - diameters

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the approximation equation (D/d)^4-1 ~ (D/d)^4 in determining the maximum error in acceleration and drainage time calculations. The question asks for the percentage error introduced by this approximation and the participants discuss the meaning of error, true value, and approximation. Ultimately, the answer is that the percentage error is the same for acceleration and drainage time, and it is equal to the ratio of 9cm to 8mm, or 112.5 or 2/225.
bcalkins
1. Homework Statement :
The expressions you obtained for acceleration and drainage time (equations 3 and 4 in the manual) both contain the following factor or something equivalent: (D/d)^4-1
In the lab, we will be dealing with a bottle with a diameter around 9 cm. A typical diameter of the drainage hole is 8 mm. With these numbers, what is the maximum error that we introduce in the expression above if we use the approximation:
(D/d)^4-1 ~ (D/d)^4
This is a small error compared to the uncertainties in the lab (the motion detector alone has a resolution of 1 mm. Since we will be measuring distances of the order of 20 cm, this is already a 0.5% uncertainty.)

Homework Equations

This question makes NO sense to me. I don't get the point of the approximation equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Wouldn't the maximum error just be 9cm/8mm or 9/.08 = 112.5 OR would it be .08/9 =
.008 or 2/225? I've tried both of these answers but the program didn't accept either. What am I doing wrong? How am I supposed to use the approximation equation listed in the question? Thank you sooooo much, this is due tomorrow night so I'm allowed to enter the lab/participate on Monday.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look, you just need to think about these things. Think about what the meaning of "error" is. Think about what the "true" value is, what the "approximation" is, and what you can do to arrive at the difference between the two.

Error: The difference between the result of the measurement and the true value of what you're measuring.
True value: What the actual value should be.
Approximation: What you approximated or rounded the measurement to.
Well, I believe from the above problem that the approximation would be within 8 mm or .08 cm of the true value. Is that correct?
I'm still confused on what the question is asking. Why do they say something about (D/d)^4 -1 = (D/d)^4 ; I don't understand how those equations are equal. And I don't understand how I'm supposed to use them to answer the question.

bcalkins said:
Error: The difference between the result of the measurement and the true value of what you're measuring.
True value: What the actual value should be.
Approximation: What you approximated or rounded the measurement to.
Well, I believe from the above problem that the approximation would be within 8 mm or .08 cm of the true value.
What is it that is being approximated? (Hint: it is not a distance.)

Acceleration and drainage time?

"the maximum error that we introduce in the expression above" where the expression above was "(D/d)^4-1". OK, it did earlier refer to "The expressions you obtained for acceleration and drainage time", but those expressions did not appear "above".
Anyway, the question says "(D/d)^4-1" appears as a factor in the expressions for acceleration and drainage times, so assuming they want the percentage error, it's the same answer in all three cases. So just take it as asking for the percentage error that arises from using (D/d)^4 in place of (D/d)^4-1.

Related to Fluids - maximum error - diameters

1. What is the maximum error in fluid diameter measurement?

The maximum error in fluid diameter measurement is typically determined by the precision of the measuring instrument and the skill of the operator. It can range from a few hundredths of a millimeter to a few millimeters, depending on the type of instrument and the conditions of the experiment.

2. How does the maximum error affect the accuracy of fluid flow measurements?

The maximum error in fluid diameter can have a significant impact on the accuracy of fluid flow measurements. Even small errors in diameter measurement can lead to large errors in flow rate calculations. It is important to minimize the maximum error in order to obtain more accurate results.

3. What are the common sources of error in fluid diameter measurement?

The most common sources of error in fluid diameter measurement include imperfect calibration of the measuring instrument, variations in temperature and pressure, and human error in reading and recording measurements. These factors should be carefully controlled and minimized to reduce the maximum error in diameter measurement.

4. How can the maximum error in fluid diameter measurement be reduced?

To reduce the maximum error in fluid diameter measurement, it is important to use precise and calibrated measuring instruments, maintain consistent temperature and pressure conditions, and carefully follow measurement procedures. It may also be helpful to take multiple measurements and calculate an average to reduce the impact of any individual measurement error.

5. Does the type of fluid being measured affect the maximum error in diameter measurement?

Yes, the type of fluid being measured can affect the maximum error in diameter measurement. For example, highly viscous fluids may be more difficult to measure accurately due to their tendency to adhere to measuring instruments. Additionally, variations in fluid properties such as density and surface tension can also impact the maximum error in diameter measurement.