Flux and Nonconducting Shells: What are the Net Charges of Shell A and Shell B?

• Thread starter seraphimhouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary: The charge of the central particle is 6.018 µC. The net charges of shell A and shell B are -1.8054x10^-5 C and -1.2036x10^-5 C, respectively.
seraphimhouse

Homework Statement

Flux and nonconducting shells. A charged particle is suspended at the center of two concentric spherical shells that are very thin and made of nonconducting material. Figure (a) below shows a cross section. Figure (b) below gives the net flux Φ through a Gaussian sphere centered on the particle, as a function of the radius r of the sphere. The scale of the vertical axis is set by Φs = 17.0 × 10^5 N·m^2/C. (a) What is the charge of the central particle? Give your answers in µC. What are the net charges of (b) shell A and (c) shell B?

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c23/pict_23_12.gif

Homework Equations

EoI = qenc

The Attempt at a Solution

So I got the measurement of each scale on the graph by dividing Φs by 5 which gave me: 3.4x10^5 N m^2/C

For a) I used EoI = qenc and got 6.018 C which was correct.

now for part b) I found the flux to be -13.6x10^5 N m^2/C. Now finding that I was able to find the q for that area. I found the area to be -1.2036x10^5 C. Now in order to find the net charge for shell a, I subtracted the charge of the central particle which was found in part a) to the charge found in part b) which gave me -1.8054x10^-5 C. But that answer was wrong.

I must have the logic wrong for part b). Can anyone help me out :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you are entering your data in units of [tex] \mu C [/tex]?

yes I have converted them to nano C

seraphimhouse said:
yes I have converted them to nano C

Don't you mean micro coulombs? For example, if your calculated answer was -1.8054x10^-5 C, which is -18.054x10-6 C, which is -18.054 µC, meaning you should enter in -18.054.

(It says in the problem statement, "Give your answers in µC.")

Related to Flux and Nonconducting Shells: What are the Net Charges of Shell A and Shell B?

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a surface. In other words, it is the amount of a quantity (such as electric field or magnetic field) passing through a given area.

2. What is a nonconducting shell?

A nonconducting shell is a material or object that does not allow the flow of electricity or heat. This means that it does not conduct electricity or heat and acts as an insulator.

3. How does flux relate to nonconducting shells?

In the case of nonconducting shells, flux is used to describe the flow of electric field passing through the surface of the shell. This is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields around nonconducting objects.

4. Can flux pass through a nonconducting shell?

Yes, flux can pass through a nonconducting shell. However, the amount of flux passing through the shell will depend on the material and thickness of the shell, as well as the strength of the electric field.

5. How is flux calculated for nonconducting shells?

The flux through a nonconducting shell can be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the total flux passing through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of the material. This allows for the calculation of flux in nonconducting shells by considering the distribution of charge within and around the shell.