Flux for an Infinite charge line through a cylinder

In summary, the problem involves calculating the total flux passing through a cylindrical surface with two infinite lines of charge, one with a charge density of 2.9 μC/cm and the other with a charge density of -8.7 μC/cm. The flux can be calculated using either the integral of E*dA or the formula qencl/ε, but due to the changing and non-perpendicular electric field, the latter may be easier to use.
mrshappy0

Homework Statement

An infinite line of charge with charge density λ1 = 2.9 μC/cm is aligned with the y-axis as shown. a = 7.9 cm. h = 8.8 cm. λ2 = -8.7 μC/cm. Another infinite line of charge with charge density λ2 = -8.7 μC/cm parallel to the y-axis is now added at x = 3.95 cm as shown
Physics_3.jpg

What is the total flux Φ that now passes through the cylindrical surface? Enter a positive number if the net flux leaves the cylinder and a negative number if the net flux enters the cylnder. (This question is what got me confused).

Homework Equations

∫E*dA=qencl

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to correctly find the net E along x for point P and I was also able to find the flux for the centered line for the cylinder but once the second line was added I wasn't sure where to go from there because E is no longer constant around the cyclinder. I am sure I am missing something very fundamental but I can't wrap my mind around what that is.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshappy0 said:

Homework Equations

∫E*dA=qencl
The left-hand-side is the basic definition of flux, and provides one way of calculating it (where it is the component of E perpendicular to A that is used.

However, it turns out the flux is also equivalent to the right-hand-side of the above equation, so that provides an alternative way to calculate the same quantity.

As you said, it's difficult to calculate the integral since E is not constant everywhere around the cylinder -- also E is not everywhere perpendicular to A. Therefore, I suggest using qencl/ε to calculate the flux instead.

FAQ: Flux for an Infinite charge line through a cylinder

1. What is flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder?

The flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through the surface of the cylinder. It is calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area of the cylinder.

2. How is the flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder affected by the length of the cylinder?

The flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder is directly proportional to the length of the cylinder. This means that as the length of the cylinder increases, the flux also increases.

3. Does the direction of the electric field affect the flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder?

Yes, the direction of the electric field does affect the flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder. If the electric field is perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder, the flux will be maximum. If the electric field is parallel to the surface of the cylinder, the flux will be zero.

4. How does the charge density of the infinite charge line affect the flux through a cylinder?

The charge density of the infinite charge line has a direct effect on the flux through a cylinder. As the charge density increases, the flux also increases. This is because there is a greater amount of electric field passing through the surface of the cylinder.

5. Can the flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the flux for an infinite charge line through a cylinder can be negative. This can occur if the electric field is directed in the opposite direction to the surface of the cylinder. In this case, the dot product of the electric field and the surface area will result in a negative value for the flux.