Flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle,

In summary, "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" is a quantity denoted by L and is equal to the partial derivative of Phi with respect to cos(Theta) and the solid angle, Omega. It is often used in radiometry and can also be represented by the second partial derivative of Phi with respect to projected area and solid angle. A possible typo on page 6 of William Wolfe's intro to Radiometry has been pointed out.
Somefantastik
"flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle,"

[tex] L = \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \left(cos \Theta \right) \ \partial \Omega} [/tex]

What is this quantity? I mean, I know it's "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle," how does the math work?

I know it's not

[tex]\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial (Acos \Theta)} \frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial \Omega} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

well it's either a typo, or some weird convention where people don't follow the rules. I found a few pages later, a table, where the same quantity was given by

[tex]
L = \frac{ \partial^{2} \Phi}{\partial(Acos \Theta) \ \partial \Omega}
[/tex]

Which of course, makes a heck of a lot more sense.

It's on page 6 of William Wolfe's intro to Radiometry :-/

I think page 6 is a typo- it should be what you have written on post #2. Try emailing William, pointing out the typo- see what he says.

Email sent. I can't believe I just did that..

Related to Flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle,

1. What is "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle"?

"Flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" is a measure of the amount of energy passing through a unit area at a specific angle. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to describe the intensity of a radiation field or the flow of particles.

2. How is "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" calculated?

The calculation of "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" involves dividing the total flux (energy) passing through a given area by the area of that surface and the solid angle it subtends (the angle that the surface takes up in the observer's field of view).

3. What units is "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" measured in?

"Flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" is typically measured in watts per square meter per steradian (W/m²/sr) in the SI system of units. In other systems, it may be measured in units of energy per unit time per unit area per unit solid angle.

4. What is the significance of "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" in scientific research?

"Flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" is a fundamental concept in many areas of science, including astronomy, optics, and thermodynamics. It allows scientists to quantify the amount of energy or particles flowing through a given area at a specific angle, providing crucial information for understanding and predicting physical phenomena.

5. How does "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" relate to other measures of flux?

"Flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" is related to other measures of flux, such as "flux per unit area" or "flux per unit solid angle," through mathematical relationships. For example, "flux per unit area" is equal to the product of "flux per unit projected area per unit solid angle" and the cosine of the angle between the surface normal and the direction of the flux. Understanding these relationships is important for correctly interpreting and using flux measurements in scientific research.