Flux/Surface Integral across a Plane

In summary: So if you want to find the area of a triangle, you just need to add up all the little elements of area that are on the triangle.
FAS1998

Homework Statement

I attached an image of the multi-part problem on this post. I got correct answers to every question other than the last one.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the last part is a surface integral problem.

F is given and I found n is previous parts of the problem.

And I think F (dot) n should be 11/sqrt(6).

I’m not sure what to do after that. I don’t remember my calc 3 very well and I never really had a good understanding of surface integrals and flux.

I think I might need some equation involving dS to turn the surface integral into a double integral, but I’m not quite sure.

Attachments

• 4DBEED4B-7C3B-4B20-A8E2-1B9074016914.jpeg
    4DBEED4B-7C3B-4B20-A8E2-1B9074016914.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 288
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, you got ##\vec F \cdot \hat n = \frac{11}{\sqrt{6}}## correctly. Note that it is constant therefore ##\int \int \vec F \cdot \hat n~dS = \frac{11}{\sqrt{6}}\int \int dS##.
So ...

Likes FAS1998
kuruman said:
OK, you got ##\vec F \cdot \hat n = \frac{11}{\sqrt{6}}## correctly. Note that it is constant therefore ##\int \int \vec F \cdot \hat n~dS = \frac{11}{\sqrt{6}}\int \int dS##.
So ...
I’m not sure how to do that calculation. Do I replace dS with something else to get a double integral?

You can replace it with ##dx~dy## if that makes you feel any better, but what does ##\int \int dS## actually represent? Hint: You already know the answer.

Likes FAS1998
kuruman said:
You can replace it with ##dx~dy## if that makes you feel any better, but what does ##\int \int dS## actually represent? Hint: You already know the answer.
I used sqrt(6) as ##\int \int dS## and got 11 as the correct answer.

So does that mean that calculating the surface integral of a given surface gives the area of that surface?

FAS1998 said:
So does that mean that calculating the surface integral of a given surface gives the area of that surface?
##\int \int dS## is shorthand for the following in plain English: "Consider an element of area ##dS## on the triangle. Add all such elements over the entire surface of the triangle." So if you follow the instructions and add all the weensy elements together, what do you get? The total area of the triangle! This shortcut works only because ##\vec F \cdot ~\hat n## is constant and can be taken out of the integral. If it depended on ##x## and/or ##y##, you would have to replace ##dS## with ##dx~dy## and do the double integral.

Last edited:
Likes FAS1998

Related to Flux/Surface Integral across a Plane

1. What is flux?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a physical quantity through a given surface. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is usually measured in units of force per unit area.

2. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a function over a given surface. It is used to calculate quantities such as flux, surface area, and volume.

3. How is flux calculated across a plane?

To calculate flux across a plane, you need to first determine the normal vector to the plane. Then, you multiply the vector by the magnitude of the surface area and the magnitude of the vector field at each point on the surface. Finally, you integrate this product over the entire surface.

4. What is the relationship between flux and surface area?

The relationship between flux and surface area is that flux is directly proportional to the surface area. This means that as the surface area increases, so does the flux. However, the direction of the flux may change depending on the orientation of the surface.

5. How is a surface integral across a plane used in physics?

A surface integral across a plane is used in physics to calculate the flow of quantities such as electric or magnetic fields through a given surface. It is also used in fluid mechanics to calculate the flow of fluids through a surface. In general, it is a useful tool for understanding and analyzing the behavior of physical systems.