Flux through a sphere due to a charge outside of it

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of flux in relation to a point charge located next to a spherical surface. According to Gauss's law, the net flux through the sphere is zero because it contains no charge. The field lines, although they may exit the sphere with less magnitude, still have the same total number exiting as entering. This is because the intensity of the field is spread out more on the far side of the sphere.
xSpartanCx

Homework Statement

A point charge of +5.00 μC is located on the x-axis at x= 5.00 m , next to a spherical surface of radius x= 4.00 m centered at the origin.
[/B]
According to Gauss's law, the net flux through the sphere is zero because it contains no charge. Yet the field due to the external charge is much stronger on the near side of the sphere (i.e., at x=4.00 m ) than on the far side (at x= -4.00 m ). How, then, can the flux into the sphere (on the near side) equal the flux out of it (on the far side)?

Homework Equations

integral(E dA cos(theta)) = Qenclosed / E0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the flux should be zero. I drew a picture, with the charge to the right of the sphere and drew lines radially from the point. However, I can't seem to wrap my head around why the net flux is zero. If I go through adding up all the E dot dA's, does it have to do with the dA being the opposite direction of the field on the close side to the particle, so flux is negative, but on the top, bottom, and left (front and back as well) sides of the sphere, the field is in a similar direction so flux would be positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice that every field line that enters the sphere will end up exiting the sphere.

axmls said:
Notice that every field line that enters the sphere will end up exiting the sphere.
But it exits the sphere with less magnitude than when it entered, doesn't that make a difference?

xSpartanCx said:
But it exits the sphere with less magnitude than when it entered, doesn't that make a difference?

Field lines are just a convenient way to picture an electric field. They don't have "intensity". The density of the field lines indicates intensity of the field. The total number of field lines is the total flux. The intensity is less on the far side of the sphere because they are spread more. But the total number exiting is the same as the total number entering.

xSpartanCx said:

Field lines do not have actual, physical existence, but the concept is essentially that such a line is supposed to have constant strength throughout its entire length. Where there is a high density of such lines (i.e., where they are bunched up close together) the field is strong, essentially because you sum a large number of individual line strengths over a small area; where the density of such lines is low (they are "far apart") the field strength is weak. In terms of real physics this is, of course, total nonsense, but the diagrams and pictures can sometimes help one to get an intuitive feeling for the situation for various charge configurations.

Related to Flux through a sphere due to a charge outside of it

1. What is flux through a sphere due to a charge outside of it?

Flux through a sphere due to a charge outside of it is a measure of the electric field passing through the surface of the sphere, caused by a charge located outside of the sphere. It can be calculated using Gauss's Law and is represented by the symbol Φ.

2. How is the flux through a sphere affected by the distance between the charge and the sphere?

The flux through a sphere is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charge and the sphere. This means that as the distance increases, the flux decreases.

3. What is the unit of flux through a sphere due to a charge outside of it?

The unit of flux is volt meters squared (V·m²) or newton meters squared per coulomb (N·m²/C).

4. Can the flux through a sphere be negative?

Yes, the flux through a sphere can be negative if the external charge is negative. This indicates that the electric field is directed towards the sphere, instead of away from it.

5. How does the size of the sphere affect the flux through it?

The size of the sphere does not affect the flux through it, as long as the external charge remains at a constant distance from the surface of the sphere. However, if the distance between the charge and the sphere changes, the flux will also change.