Flux through a sphere given a vector field

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the flux of a vector field through a sphere using the Divergence theorem/Gauss's Law. The solution involves finding the derivatives of the components of the vector field and integrating with respect to x, y, and z. It is noted that if all the derivatives are zero, the resulting triple integral yields zero, meaning that the total outward flow is equal to the total inward flow. This does not necessarily mean that there is no flux through the sphere, as a constant flux can still flow through the sphere.
takbq2

Homework Statement

Vector field F = (2siny-cosz, 2cosx+3sinz, cosy-2sinx)

Compute the flux of F through a sphere of radius one centered at the origin with respect to the outer unit normal.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem/Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I know how to calculate flux is to look at F and let
2siny-cosz = M
2cosx+3sinz = N
cosy-2sinx = P

then do dM/dx dN/dy dP/dz

then use the divF integral to integrate dM/dx + dN/dy + dP/dz with respect to x,y,z

But I don't understand how else to do it when their derivatives are all 0.

Thanks a lot for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
takbq2 said:

Homework Statement

Vector field F = (2siny-cosz, 2cosx+3sinz, cosy-2sinx)

Compute the flux of F through a sphere of radius one centered at the origin with respect to the outer unit normal.

Homework Equations

Divergence theorem/Gauss's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

The only way I know how to calculate flux is to look at F and let
2siny-cosz = M
2cosx+3sinz = N
cosy-2sinx = P

then do dM/dx dN/dy dP/dz

then use the divF integral to integrate dM/dx + dN/dy + dP/dz with respect to x,y,z

But I don't understand how else to do it when their derivatives are all 0.

Thanks a lot for any help

Do you know the saying "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."? What do you get when you calculate [itex]\iiint_V 0\, dv[/itex]?

I thought that you couldn't integrate 0

takbq2 said:
I thought that you couldn't integrate 0

For example, in one variable[tex]\int_a^b 0\, dx = C|_a^b = C - C = 0[/tex]

Well the triple integral yields zero then.
Does this mean that the vector field does not flow through the sphere? There is no flux?
Can I plot this?

Thanks, by the way.

takbq2 said:
Well the triple integral yields zero then.
Does this mean that the vector field does not flow through the sphere? There is no flux?
Can I plot this?

Thanks, by the way.

It means that the total outward flow is zero. That doesn't mean no flux flows through the sphere, just that as much goes in as out in total. For example, a constant flux flowing right through the sphere would give a total flux of zero.

You're welcome.

So the flux is not zero, it is just out = in. From the information given is there anything else I can know about the flow?

Related to Flux through a sphere given a vector field

What is flux through a sphere given a vector field?

Flux through a sphere refers to the amount of flow of a vector field through the surface of a sphere. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the vector field passing through a given area.

How is flux through a sphere calculated?

The flux through a sphere can be calculated using the formula: flux = ∫∫S F · dS, where F is the vector field and dS is the differential surface area element of the sphere.

What is the significance of calculating flux through a sphere?

Calculating flux through a sphere can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of a vector field, such as the direction and magnitude of the flow. It is also useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

What factors affect the flux through a sphere?

The flux through a sphere is affected by the strength and direction of the vector field, as well as the size and orientation of the sphere. The shape and properties of the surface of the sphere can also impact the flux.

How is flux through a sphere represented visually?

The flux through a sphere can be represented visually using vector field plots, which show the direction and strength of the field at different points on the surface of the sphere. It can also be represented using flux diagrams, which show the flow of the vector field through the sphere.

Back