Flying Capacitor Circuit Analysis?

In summary, Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and V=IR hold for this circuit. The equivalent circuit for the switches being in the positions shown in the diagram is a voltage source with R1 and then C in series. Kirchhoff's loop law allows differentiation of V-IR1-Q/C=0 to find I. I(t)=V/R1*e^(-t/R1C) which matches the equation derived in my book for an RC circuit. If t>>R1C, Vc-->V.
blondie68

Homework Statement

I've attached the problem in the pdf, which includes the circuit diagram, but I'll copy the text of the problem here:

(a) Draw the equivalent circuit when the switches are in the position indicated in the diagram and
calculate the potential difference that develops across the capacitor in the limit when t  1/R1C.
(b) At some later time, the both S1 and S2 switched simultaneously. Draw the equivalent circuit
and calculate the potential difference across R2 the instant after this event.
In this type of curcuit is commonly found in DC-DC converters. In such a circuit configuration,
C is called a flying capacitor.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law

V=IR for resistor, V=Q/C for capacitor

The Attempt at a Solution

a) the equivalent circuit is the voltage source with R1 and then C in series

using Kirchoff's loop law then,

V-IR1-Q/C=0

differentiating, and then integrating to solve for I, I get

I(t)=V/R1*e^(-t/R1C)

which matches the equation derived in my book for an RC circuit.

then, Vc=V(1-e^-t/R1C) where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor, which also matches the equation in my book.

Then, if t>>R1C, I said that Vc-->V

b) The equivalent circuit here with the switches flipped is the voltage source, then R2, then C all in series.

The problem I'm having arises here: If the C is fully charged where Vc=V when the switch is flipped, then no current should be able to flow to R2, and there shouldn't be any voltage drop.

This answer seems too trivial though, and seems to render this kind of circuit pointless. What am I missing here?

Attachments

• flying capacitor.pdf
    57.9 KB · Views: 225
Physics news on Phys.org
blondie68 said:
The problem I'm having arises here: If the C is fully charged where Vc=V when the switch is flipped, then no current should be able to flow to R2, and there shouldn't be any voltage drop.

This answer seems too trivial though, and seems to render this kind of circuit pointless. What am I missing here?

Check the polarity of the voltage on the capacitor and do a Kirchoff voltage sum around the loop.

ahhh i think i see now. so the loop law would be V(battery)-V(capacitor)-V(R2)=0, so since Vb=Vc, the voltage across the resistor is double the battery voltage. that makes a lot more sense. thanks!

Related to Flying Capacitor Circuit Analysis?

1. What is a flying capacitor circuit?

A flying capacitor circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses multiple capacitors to store and transfer electrical charge. It is commonly used in power electronics and can be found in many electronic devices such as inverters and motor drives.

2. What is the main problem associated with flying capacitor circuits?

The main problem with flying capacitor circuits is the voltage imbalance between the capacitors. This can occur due to differences in capacitance, resistance, or leakage currents, which can lead to unequal charging and discharging of the capacitors and affect the overall performance of the circuit.

3. How does this voltage imbalance affect the circuit?

The voltage imbalance in a flying capacitor circuit can cause several issues, including reduced efficiency, increased power losses, and potential damage to the capacitors. It can also result in voltage spikes and noise, which can interfere with the proper functioning of other components in the circuit.

4. What are some techniques used to mitigate the voltage imbalance in flying capacitor circuits?

There are several techniques that can be used to address the voltage imbalance in flying capacitor circuits. These include using precision-matched capacitors, implementing balancing resistors, and using active balancing methods such as voltage balancing circuits and feedback control systems.

5. Are there any other potential problems with flying capacitor circuits?

In addition to voltage imbalance, flying capacitor circuits can also be affected by temperature variations, component aging, and electromagnetic interference. It is essential to carefully design and test these circuits to ensure their proper functioning and reliability in different operating conditions.