Flywheel Effect on a Stationary Diesel

In summary: A lighter flywheel will be faster to react and will output power at a higher frequency, but it may overshoot its target output and cause damage. A mix of both may be the best option, depending on the application.In summary, a heavier flywheel will be more resistant to load step changes, but slower to return to its desired output. A lighter flywheel may overshoot its target output and cause damage.
wsemajb
Hi,
I'm not an engineer. Unfortunately, my irrepressible brother has somehow coaxed and cajoled me into tinkering with alternative energy - à la vegetable oils, ethanols, etc - and now I'm hooked. I'd love to have one of those Lister Cold Start twin cylinder stationary diesels to play with.

I have a 1500cc Kubota diesel and a 10k generator head out in the workspace. I've got a scrap metals dealer down the road, my tig set up and ready to go, a fairly complete little machine shop at hand, and membership in about a dozen relevant forums - and am about ready to get moving. I'm hoping that someone might offer a basic primer on the function of flywheel effect in this very specific diesel application.
Stationary engine
Constant RPM
Fluctuating load
Mechanically governed RPM

There is much talk about varying amounts of flywheel mass used on those old Lister stationary diesels - the single cylinder models use two flywheels of 275 to 300lbs each! What would be the effect of more/less flywheel mass on a more "conventional" genset, my four cylinder 1500cc Kubota for instance?

Would greater mass be incompatible with the engines standard governor? Would ANY greater flywheel mass be beneficial to a stationary genset (since there is no weight/performance tradeoff to be concerned with?) How does any benefit to performance affect engine wear/longevity or other factors?

And... as long as I'm here, among cooler heads, is there really any rigorously scientific basis for the (small but growing) interest in these old technology Lister CS engines? That is, are there valid reasons for opting for one of these beasts (specifially for an alt/fuel genset) in preference to the newest offerings - say, my brand spankin' new v1505e Kubota diesel?

Thank you very much for any illumination on this.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The main effect of flywheel mass (or more correctly, inertia) is load acceptance. A heavier flywheel will be more resistant to load step changes (and thus maintain the electricity output at its required frequency), but if the speed does deviate, it'll take longer to return to its desired value.

The flywheel effect on a stationary diesel engine is an important factor to consider when it comes to its performance and efficiency. The flywheel is a heavy rotating disc that is attached to the crankshaft of the engine and helps to smooth out the power delivery from the engine. In a stationary diesel engine, the flywheel helps to maintain a constant rotational speed, even when there are fluctuations in the load being placed on the engine.

In the case of your 1500cc Kubota diesel engine, the flywheel would play a crucial role in maintaining a constant RPM, which is important for the proper functioning of the generator. The flywheel acts as a storage device for rotational energy, and when the load on the engine increases, the flywheel releases this stored energy to maintain a constant speed. This is especially important in a stationary engine where the load can fluctuate significantly.

The amount of flywheel mass needed for a particular engine depends on various factors such as the size and power output of the engine, the type of fuel being used, and the expected load on the engine. In the case of the Lister Cold Start twin cylinder stationary diesel, the two flywheels of 275 to 300lbs each are necessary to provide enough stored energy to maintain a constant speed.

Adding more flywheel mass to your 1500cc Kubota engine may not necessarily be beneficial, as it could potentially overload the engine's standard governor and cause it to malfunction. The standard governor is designed to work with a specific amount of flywheel mass, and any changes to this could have adverse effects on the engine's performance and longevity.

As for the growing interest in the old technology Lister CS engines, there are valid reasons for choosing them over newer offerings. These engines are known for their reliability, durability, and simplicity. They can run on a variety of alternative fuels, making them a popular choice for those interested in alternative energy sources. However, newer engines such as your v1505e Kubota diesel may offer better fuel efficiency and emissions control, so it ultimately depends on the specific needs and preferences of the user.

In conclusion, the flywheel effect is an important aspect to consider when it comes to the performance of a stationary diesel engine. It plays a crucial role in maintaining a constant speed and can have an impact on the engine's longevity and efficiency. When choosing an engine, it's essential to consider the appropriate amount of flywheel mass for the specific application.

Related to Flywheel Effect on a Stationary Diesel

1. What is the flywheel effect on a stationary diesel engine?

The flywheel effect on a stationary diesel engine refers to the rotational energy stored in the flywheel that helps to maintain the engine's speed and balance during operation.

2. How does the flywheel affect the performance of a stationary diesel engine?

The flywheel plays a crucial role in the performance of a stationary diesel engine by providing a constant rotational force, which helps to keep the engine running smoothly and prevent stalling.

3. What factors determine the flywheel effect on a stationary diesel engine?

The size and weight of the flywheel, as well as the engine's speed and torque, are the main factors that determine the flywheel effect on a stationary diesel engine.

4. How can the flywheel effect be optimized for a stationary diesel engine?

The flywheel effect can be optimized by choosing a flywheel with the appropriate size and weight for the engine's specifications. The flywheel should also be balanced and properly installed to ensure optimal performance.

5. What are the benefits of having a flywheel on a stationary diesel engine?

The flywheel provides several benefits for a stationary diesel engine, including improved stability, smoother operation, and better fuel efficiency. It also helps to reduce wear and tear on the engine components and prolongs its lifespan.