Focal Curve of an Achromatic Doublet

In summary, the conversation is about determining the correct focal curve of an achromatic doublet. The participants are discussing different formulas and approaches for designing the doublet, using thin lenses in contact with each other. The problem is that when the system is solved and the required radius is found, the resulting focal shift is practically zero for the whole visible spectrum instead of just the C and F Fraunhofer lines. The participants are trying to figure out what went wrong and discussing their calculations and references.
joaocosta23
I have a problem with the determination of the correct focal curve of an achromatic double.

I'm considering here a doublet formed by a biconvex Flint Glass lens attached to a plano-concave crown glass lens. ( I know that the typical design of the doublet is a biconvex crown lens attach to a plano-concave flint glass lens. but here I'm interested in the opposite.)

I'm also assuming that I aim to achromatize the C and F Fraunhofer lines.

The optical powers of the two lenses are:
P1 = n_flint * (1/R1-1/R2)
P2 = n_crown*(1/R3) [ I assume that R4=∞, since this is a plano-concave lens ]

I also know the optical power (Pt) of my system at the D Fraunhofer line.

The classic textbook formulas say that the conditions required to design a doublet are:

P1 = Pt * Δ2/(Δ2-Δ1)
P2 = -Pt * Δ1/(Δ2-Δ1)

Where Δi = (ni_F - ni_C) / (ni_D-1) ( i=1,2 stands for the first or second lens, respectively), and n_F, n_C and n_D are the refractive indexes of the respective glass.
We have 2 equations and 3 unknowns ( R1,R2 and R3), so in order to solve this problem I must choose an arbitrary radius R1 for example.

My problem is that after I solve the system and find the required radius, when I plot the focal shift of my system it yields a focal shift of 1*10^-15 in the whole visible spectrum, when in theory the focal shift should only be zero valued for the C and F lines..

Can anyone Explain me what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm having trouble following your 'textbook formula'- where is the lens spacing (and lens thickness) specified? Kingslake's book even works out a flint-in-front doublet.

Andy Resnick said:
I'm having trouble following your 'textbook formula'- where is the lens spacing (and lens thickness) specified? Kingslake's book even works out a flint-in-front doublet.

You are right, but I forgot to mention that the lenses are thin lenses and that they are in contact with each other. In this case, the formulas I mentioned are the correct ones.

joaocosta23 said:
You are right, but I forgot to mention that the lenses are thin lenses and that they are in contact with each other. In this case, the formulas I mentioned are the correct ones.

You can find the formulas here: http://pt.scribd.com/doc/58102523/138/Achromatic-Doublet-Lens-Design

but they can also be found for example in the classical book Principles of Optics of Max Born and Wolf..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks- the reference helped me a lot.

Ok, so I got a different solution from you. Using the numbers from the referenced book, the total optical power [itex]\phi[/itex] = 1/254 = 0.0039 and the Abbe numbers for the front flint and back crown are 36.3 and 64.5, respectively.

I can interpret your design in two ways: either the front element is a (hopefully biconvex) flint, or the front element is a plano-convex crown.

For a flint-first, I get that the flint must have negative power, because Va < Vb. You can make it a biconcave, but it cannot be biconvex or even plano-convex

For a plano-convex front crown, the optical powers [itex]\phi_{a}[/itex] and [itex]\phi_{b}[/itex] of the two elements are the same as 'normal' (0.009 and -0.0051), but again the flint element must have a negative power and cannot be biconvex.

Does this help? Or am I missing something?

Thank you so much for your quick answer. My problem is actually related with a correct determination of the focal curve of an achromatic doublet.

In my problem I am using a standard solution, which consists of a biconvex Crown glass lens attached to a plano-concave Flint Glass Lens.

In order to model the refractive indices of the two glasses in the visible domain I am using the well-known Cauchy's equations:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy's_equation)

n(λ) = A + B/λ2 ( with λ in μm).

n1(λ) - Flint Glass
n2(λ) - Crown Glass

For the flint glass I am considering:
A=1.7280
B=0.01342

For the crown glass I am considering:
A=1.5220
B=0.00459

Now let's say I want my lens to have a total focal length f-1=100mm

For Simplicity I assume that I have a equiconvex Crown glass lens ( like in the example I showed you) such that r2=-r1.

So basically I want to find two radiis, r2 and r3. When I do so and I try to plot the total focal shift of the systems, it yields a curve that is practically zero valued in the whole visible spectrum, but it should only be zero for the C and F lines..

I'm afraid I'm really confused now:

joaocosta23 said:
I'm considering here a doublet formed by a biconvex Flint Glass lens attached to a plano-concave crown glass lens. ( I know that the typical design of the doublet is a biconvex crown lens attach to a plano-concave flint glass lens. but here I'm interested in the opposite.)

<snip>

joaocosta23 said:
In my problem I am using a standard solution, which consists of a biconvex Crown glass lens attached to a plano-concave Flint Glass Lens.

<snip>

Related to Focal Curve of an Achromatic Doublet

What is a focal curve?

A focal curve is a graphical representation of the focal length of a lens as a function of the wavelength of light passing through it. It is typically measured in millimeters and can vary depending on the type and design of the lens.

What is an achromatic doublet?

An achromatic doublet is a type of lens made up of two different types of glass with different refractive indices, designed to reduce chromatic aberration and produce clear images by bringing different wavelengths of light to a single focal point.

How is the focal curve of an achromatic doublet determined?

The focal curve of an achromatic doublet is determined through careful measurement of the focal length of the lens at different wavelengths of light. This data is then plotted on a graph to create the focal curve.

Why is the focal curve important?

The focal curve is important because it helps to determine the performance of an achromatic doublet lens. It can also be used to compare different lenses and determine which one is best suited for a specific use.

How does the focal curve affect the image produced by an achromatic doublet lens?

The focal curve can affect the quality of the image produced by an achromatic doublet lens. If the focal curve is not well-corrected, it can result in chromatic aberration, which can cause color fringing and reduce image sharpness. A well-corrected focal curve will result in a clear and sharp image with minimal color distortion.