Focal length calculation and graph Q

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of graphs to find the focal length of a lens and how the graph of U and V does not provide an accurate value. Instead, using the equation 1/U + 1/V = 1/f and similar triangles, one can derive a more accurate value for the focal length. However, the nature of lenses does not allow for a simple relationship between U and V to find the focal length.
_Greg_
Hi folks, just joined the forums :smile:
Hope you don't mind me firing a few questions now and again, i have some reports to do over the weekend which is the last of my HNC in Chemical Engineering :!)
A lot of it is basic physics which iv done in the past but its just the odd bit that catches me out.

So anyway, iv done an expeiment with a converging lens where you alter the object distance and image distance ( U & V ) to get focused images on the screen.
With these results iv plotted a graph of V against U which produces a curved slope (diagram 1)
u and v.JPG

Then i done a graph of 1/V and 1/U which produces a straight line which intercepts the x and y axis, these values being 1/f (diagram 2)
untitled.JPG

My question is

Why is the graph of U and V not useful for finding the focal length of the lens accurately?

probably an easy question but i just can't put my finger on it :shy:

cheers :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
use similar triangles to proove that the formula for a lens is (1/U + 1/V = 1/f)
or u can find it anywhere on the internet. it is a very easy proof, won't take you 5 min.

therefore it is 1/U and 1/V not U and V

not entirly sure what you mean, triangles?
anyway, that 1/V vs 1/U graph with my experimental results is proof that the equation is true.
im just asked why the U and V graph doesn't give an accurate value for the focal length?

ok

if you draw your object, lens and image on a piece of paper with two of the rays you use to draw a ray diagram, you can see that there are some similar triangles on that figure. Try using similar triangles and getting two equations involving U, V and f.

then solve them simultaneously to get "1/U + 1/V = 1/f "

(if you cannot I can give you the solution but try it first :)

U and V graph cannot give you an accurate value for the focal length because the relation between the two is not related to f in any simple way.
if u play around with the equation I gave you above you might get " "[(v+U)/U]*f=V" but this won't make it any easier.

perhaps the answer to your question is that the nature of lenses does not provide us with that simple relations where you plot U versus V and get a slope or a y intercept of f

Related to Focal length calculation and graph Q

What is focal length?

Focal length is the distance between the center of a lens and the point where light rays converge to form a sharp image. It is typically measured in millimeters (mm).

How is focal length calculated?

The focal length of a lens can be calculated by dividing the distance from the lens to the image by the distance from the lens to the object. This is known as the thin lens equation: 1/f = 1/di + 1/do, where f is the focal length, di is the image distance, and do is the object distance.

What is the relationship between focal length and magnification?

The focal length of a lens and the magnification of an image are inversely related. This means that as the focal length increases, the magnification decreases, and vice versa.

How can I graph the relationship between focal length and image distance?

The relationship between focal length and image distance can be graphed by plotting the image distance on the x-axis and the focal length on the y-axis. This will result in a hyperbolic curve, with the focal length as the asymptote.

What factors can affect focal length?

There are a few factors that can affect the focal length of a lens, including the curvature of the lens, the refractive index of the material the lens is made of, and the distance from the lens to the object. Additionally, changing the position of the object or lens can also alter the focal length.