Fock spaces semantics and number of particles

In summary, the fock space for a particle with space H is a quotient space with built-in symmetry/antisymmetry for identical particles. The Hilbert space for a single particle is the set of all states on the original space that describe a single particle. The vector |1> represents all single particle states.
TheBlackNinja
I was not formally introduced to this math, so I appreciate corrections but I'll give my impressions.

The fock space for a particle with space H is
(c, H, HxH, HxHxH, ... )

1: What is a hilbert space for a single particle? I believe know what a hilbert space is, but for 'a particle'.. what is the base of this space? what to its vectors mean?

2: Operaions on Direct sums of spaces are defined as parallel operations over vector of those spaces. If each position on a tuple does not have a single vector associated(or it has?), like a basis vector, what would mean in the fock space, for example, (0, 1 ,1 , 0 ..0..), (0, 2 ,1 , 0 ..0..), (0, 1 ,1 , 0 ..0..) or (0, 0.5 ,0 , 0 ..0..)

3: How would fock states be denoted as tuples of the fock space? like, would |2> be (0,0,1,0...) ?

4: What does it mean for a state to have a 'well defined number of particles'? that all except one coefficient on a fock tuple is non zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBlackNinja said:
1: What is a hilbert space for a single particle? I believe know what a hilbert space is, but for 'a particle'.. what is the base of this space? what to its vectors mean?

You still have to define the basis: choose if your Hilbert space is describing spin or momentum or position. The phrase "Hilbert space for single particle" does not tell anything about the representation; it only says that we are describing just one particle (and not a system of several particles).

Ok, so let {|a>, |b>,|c>} be a base of vectors for describing position in space and time and |psi>=|b>+|c> be the wavefunction of a particle. What is the "particles Hilbert space" in this case?

The fock space for a particle with space H is (c, H, HxH, HxHxH, ... )
Not quite. Fock Space is a quotient space of what you have written. The symmetry/antisymmetry that goes with identical particles is built into the definition of Fock Space. Whereas in H ⊗ H, |1>|2> and |2>|1> are two distinct states, Fock Space contains one state which is the symmetric/antisymmetric linear combination of these two.

Ok, its (c, H, S(HxH), S(HxHxH), ... ) where S is a symmetrizing or anti-symmetrizing according to the particle type. Its impossible to edut.

This answer helps me(Lubos's)

http://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/30751/what-is-the-single-particle-hilbert-space

So the "Hilber space for a single particle" is the set of all states on my original space which describe a single particle. I still don't understand |1> for example - this vector alone describes all single particle states?

Related to Fock spaces semantics and number of particles

What is a Fock space?

A Fock space is a mathematical concept used to describe the quantum state of a system with an arbitrary number of particles. It is a vector space that contains all possible states of the system, including states with different numbers of particles.

What is the significance of Fock spaces in quantum mechanics?

Fock spaces are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to mathematically describe the behavior of systems with an arbitrary number of particles. This is especially useful in quantum field theory, which deals with systems with an infinite number of particles.

How is the number of particles represented in Fock space semantics?

The number of particles in a Fock space is represented by the number of creation and annihilation operators acting on the vacuum state. Each creation operator adds a particle to the system, while each annihilation operator removes a particle.

What is the relationship between Fock space and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

Fock space is closely related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum. Fock space allows us to mathematically describe the uncertainty in the number of particles in a system, similar to how the uncertainty principle describes the uncertainty in position and momentum.

How is Fock space used in practical applications?

Fock space is used in various practical applications, such as in the development of quantum computing algorithms and in the study of quantum entanglement. It is also used in the analysis of quantum field theories, which have applications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.